Telling chicks apart?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gonzo4Chicks, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Gonzo4Chicks

Gonzo4Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    I have a dozen new loves in my house. These are our first (I'm already understanding chicken math and can't wait to see what the feed store will have in the spirng!!!) I have a couple of questions:

I have 4 each New Hampshire Reds, Barred Rocks and Ameraucana. The Ameraucana, I can tell apart (they look like chipmunks of varying shades), but the BRs and NHRs look alike!! I'm afraid to "mark" them, that they will peck at bands or marker marks. Is this something that I should worry about?

My other question is, how do i tell if my Ameraucana are true Ameraucana? I've read that EE get labeled as Ameraucana often, so I bought them knowing that if they were EE I wouldn't be upset. At what point would I be able to tell the difference? They are marked like little chipmunks. They will be a week old tomorrow and I can see little cheek "tufts" that the other 8 do not have.

Thanks for your input!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Have you tried dabbing a little food coloring on their heads? Hatcheries do it all the time to identify cockerels. If you purchased from a hatchery, there is very little chance that you have Ameraucanas. Enjoy your chicks.

3. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. Gonzo4Chicks

Gonzo4Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    My hubby and MIL picked them from up from a feed store. They didn't ask where they got them from. I was just wondering if, at a certain point, you would be able to tell by some characteristics.

I have not tried anything to mark them. While observing them the past week, I notice that they "pick" at things that seem to catch their eye or stand out in anyway, so I was afraid to mark anyone.

5. KyleG

KyleG The Champ Himself

Dec 26, 2013
    Massachusettes
    This is true. and a peck to the head at a young age could cause severe damage. try leg bands. they sell them all over the place.
    heres one, it might be old but you can see what they are and how they work
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/781800/100-asst-colors-chick-leg-bands-easy-to-use-free-shipping

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by