1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temp and humidity hicky

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JimnJanet, Mar 28, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Can anyone suggest what temp and humidity type hicky i should git fer my 'bator ?
    All i got now is that crookwards sideways like thermometer that came with the Hovabator.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Lots of us use Accurites or Flukers...Accurites can be picked up at Wal-marts....I have 2 that I use...mine work just fine, no problems...

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    That *crookwards sideways thermometer* is probably a wet-bulb thermometer.

It will give you very good reults.

Search *wet bulb thermometer* and you will get plenty of results showing how to use it.

4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Digital indoor/outdoor thermometer/hygrometers from Wal-mart, etc. are good to have. You can put the probe inside the bator and have all the information you need on the outside. Some people use more than one to check accuracy.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have accurites with a probe and a flukers. The flukers was $25 and I don't really like it as much as the $12 accurite with little probe.

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:I have an Amprobe ($120 retail) and a $6 Walmart thingie.

I too use the cheap one most, it sits in the incubator happily giving me a constant RH.

I feel happy with it partly because my Amprobe told me it was accurate enough!

The only ones I would suggest steering clear of are the *Hair Hygrometer* types. They aren't very good to begin with, and they can deteriorate rapidly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by