Temp at 99 - 100, but the eggs dont feel warm?

If your box is big enough you could put a cookie sheet under the eggs, a wire rack on top, and the eggs on the rack. Then as water evaporates it will raise the humidity. What day are your eggs on? The humidity should be 35-40% until lockdown.

That's kind similar to the set up I've already got going. No cookie sheet, but I do have a metal mesh sheet the eggs are sitting on right now. There is water underneath that.

And the humidity has been in the low 30's on average, but I've gotten it up to the 60's. It just leaves so fast! And I put them in on the 25th in the evening.

That's kind similar to the set up I've already got going. No cookie sheet, but I do have a metal mesh sheet the eggs are sitting on right now. There is water underneath that.

And the humidity has been in the low 30's on average, but I've gotten it up to the 60's. It just leaves so fast!
Ok. I would put a hole under the bulb and cover a hole on the top. All of your humidity is probably going out the top like @Tonyroo said.

Ok. I would put a hole under the bulb and cover a hole on the top. All of your humidity is probably going out the top like @Tonyroo said.
Thats what I'm planning on now. Thanks! I actually already have holes on both sides. I'm either going to get a bigger box, or a lower wattage bulb. The holes I made on either side were not sufficient to decrease the temperature.

Thats what I'm planning on now. Thanks! I actually already have holes on both sides. I'm either going to get a bigger box, or a lower wattage bulb. The holes I made on either side were not sufficient to decrease the temperature.
Ok, sounds good! Keep us posted!

I hope your using a digital thermostat switch, that's really important to maintain 95.5 F. The temperature around the eggs is more important than outer area around the egg clutch. Since you have no fan in the incubator you will have hot and cold areas, but those are usually in the corner areas in the incubator. Your focused heated air needs to on the eggs. If you have a digital temp reader place it in the middle of your clutch to get real readings.

For higher humidity, place small container/bowl of water with a sponge partially sticking out of it. Keep it near the bulb, but not next to it.

I hope your using a digital thermostat switch, that's really important to maintain 95.5 F. The temperature around the eggs is more important than outer area around the egg clutch. Since you have no fan in the incubator you will have hot and cold areas, but those are usually in the corner areas in the incubator. Your focused heated air needs to on the eggs. If you have a digital temp reader place it in the middle of your clutch to get real readings.

For higher humidity, place small container/bowl of water with a sponge partially sticking out of it. Keep it near the bulb, but not next to it.
I think you meant to say 99.5, but since it's still air the temp needs to be 102.

So this is what I have. I'll place it in the center of the clutch when I get home tonight. (This was taken a few hours ago. Humidity is probably down)
Screenshot_20200527-131631_Message+.jpg

Using a damp sponge will dry out fast, that's why your humidity is dropping. When you get home find a cup or small bowl that will fit in your incubator and add room temp water in the incubator. Or take that sponge and cut it to half the size of the container, make sure it has some height so it's sticking out a little. Stick it in the cup and add room temp water, then place it inside the incubator. The cup and sponge is generally for lockdown cause it will maintain humidity around 70-80. Check it every couple of days.

Maintaining humidity around 40-55 should work out.
In my opinion, any DIY incubator must have a digital thermostat, whether it's still air or fan powered. Cause if you accidently over heat the eggs there pretty much done.

Back
Top Bottom