Temp at hatch time?

LALADY1101

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Lake Charles, LA
I only have 8 out of 14 silkie eggs that made it into the hatcher:hit
They went on lockdown yesterday morning. I was out of town yesterday and temps stayed aroung 98.2 all day. I got temps up to 99.6 last night with humidity 67%. What should temps be at hatch time? Are my babies going to be ok? BTW its a hovabator with circulated air. I didn't realize the turner had as much affect on the temp as it does.

Your temp drop may only delay hatching I don't think it caused any harm,And I usually run my temp at 99.5 all the way through from setting to hatch day.Mine went on lock down yesterday too so I'm hatching with you.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
sending happy hatching vibes
smile.png

Quote:
I'm just a rank newbie who has researched and read *way* too much!
smile.png
What I'm understanding is that a short time drop in temperature is better than a short time spike in temperature...the embryos simply tend to slow down in developing when the temp drops. I think the chicks will be ok and I think the temp will actually raise during the hatch (I know the humidity will).

ETA: I also think your temps will stabilize on their own. Did you adjust the temp control up last night?

Best wishes!!!!
Ed

Last edited:
LALADY, Anything happening with your eggs? I have 37 Silkie eggs due to hatch on the 13th.I am hoping for a good hatch on mine,Lord knows I really didn't need to set that many,But who's counting right,LOL.

Quote:
I'm just a rank newbie who has researched and read *way* too much!
smile.png
What I'm understanding is that a short time drop in temperature is better than a short time spike in temperature...the embryos simply tend to slow down in developing when the temp drops. I think the chicks will be ok and I think the temp will actually raise during the hatch (I know the humidity will).

ETA: I also think your temps will stabilize on their own. Did you adjust the temp control up last night?

Best wishes!!!!
Ed

Thanks Ed and yes I adjusted the temp last night to get it where it is now. I have 2 springfield gauges in there. I'm at work, but I called home about 2 hours ago and temps are 99.7 with 63% humidity on one of them and 99.3 with 64% on the other. They're side by side in the middle of the incubator so I don't know why the inconsistency, but here's praying all goes well. Ya'll might think I'm crazy but I prayed over my eggs before I ever set them so I'm expecting some babies!!!!

Quote:
Nothing that I know of yet!! Keep in touch with me. I want to know when they start pipping!!!!!!! Good Luck and good hatching vibes to you and your babies!!!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Sounds good! The differences in the springfield units is understandable...it kind of amazes me that they're actually that close together.
smile.png

Crazy?....nah, quiet sane actually!
wink.png

Keep us posted on the hatch!!!
Ed

Quote:
Sounds good! The differences in the springfield units is understandable...it kind of amazes me that they're actually that close together.
smile.png

Crazy?....nah, quiet sane actually!
wink.png

Keep us posted on the hatch!!!
Ed

Thanks Ed and I'll keep ya'll posted!

Back
Top Bottom