Temp dropped to 98.2 overnight, are they froze?

jbarichivich

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Rincon, GA
fl.gif

When I got up this morning the bator temp was at 98.2. Are you kidding we are on day 18 and I need to lockdown tonight. Please let me know if you think the chicks are ok. When we turned them the eggs were still warm. Thanks!!!!

I had a power outage for 4+ hours on day 7, bator temp got down to 75 and I only had one quit, the other 18 kept right on trucking! I'll bet you'll be fine, especially because if you are on day 18 then your little chickies are already producing a bit of their own heat.
fl.gif

Can I piggyback on this question? I am also on day 18. This morning my temps had spiked up to 102.7!!! While trying to frantically cool them I tumbled an egg and smashed the side of it. don't know if it will make it, but I decided to go ahead and start raising the humidity to give it the best chance I could even though lock down would really be this evening. So after adding water, the temps plummeted to 98.1!!! I am trying to get the temp up, but it is slow going.

Help! Are they going to be okay!???

We have grown them this far and now it seems as though disaster is striking!!

jbar I am rooting for your chickies!! Looks like we will both be expecting on the same day!!

I don't think 98.2 will be a problem as long as it gets back to where it should be.

102.7 might be ok too if it wasn't there for too long.

Just don't panic and over-correct. Take it slow to get it back to where it should be.

Last edited:
Temp swings are ok, if not to radical. I have had my temp spike at 104 don't know for how long. I opened my bator for about 30 sec and put it back. I still got a 98% hatch rate. Remimber when the hen gets off the nest the temp drops so I think you will be fine

Help!! I can't get the temp to come up! The humidity is too high and the temp too low. I have my light bulb turned all the way up and I don't know what else to do!

Oh don't worry. If you have the humidity to high, the easiest way is to remove some of the water. It is hard to get the heat up if you have have the humidity to high. And several refernces have been made to hatching at slighlty lower temps than incubating. The egg temps drop when the hen leaves the nest, so 2 degree wont hurt to much. If you need to take some water out of your tray, that may help drop the humidity. That is the hard part with light bulb incubators. You get them set to work well at incbating, but when you raise the humidity to hatching, it takes about 12 hrs to get them back to 99.5. I don't thinsk at this end that 1 degree makes or brakes the hatch. It has more to do with the first 18 days. If your temp is a little low at hacth, it will just take an extra 12 hrs for them to get to hatch. That may be a bit better than 12 hrs to soon in my opinion. I have some that went on lock down last night. we will see. these I kept just a smidge cooler than my last bactch. and wetter during incubatoion, but will keep them at 55 to 58 during ahtch. We wil see. Last time I lost sevral at th end, . and the ones that hatched were about 12 hrs early. So i was a little to warm, and I think to wet during hatching. They were ready to hatch, but did not pip. This time I will hatch at little lower temp, little lower humidity and added extra air at lock down. we will see if I have a better hatch.

Back
Top Bottom