Temp fluctuation and embryo viability question

KDbeads

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
East Central VA
I've been without an AC since Saturday, just got it fixed this afternoon and totally forgot to turn the heat/bulb back on in the bator. Just happened to go back there and noticed the light was off and checked the temps. The digital was reading 91 but the water wiggler was still reading 95. We had a spike this morning of 102 on the wiggler, 104 in the bator. Since Saturday we've managed to keep the bator and wiggler at a mostly constant 100 (with just one dip into the mid 90s for the bator), that's with the light OFF so you can imagine how hot it's been in the house for the last few days!

What's the likelihood that I've lost this batch? I will be candling on day 7 (tomorrow evening) to see but wanted to brace myself just in case. I did have movement/veins in 2 eggs I peaked at yesterday.

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
Hi Carmen! It sounds like you've managed the temps well (in spite of problems) and should have chicks right *about* on schedule.
I had a similar situation with AC going out July 4th weekend one year and couldn't get anyone here til after holiday. I couldn't figure why with bator unplugged, temps kept climbing. I had to unplug the turner as well to get temps to drop.
Good luck!
Lisa

Well, I may be managing this problem a little longer...... AC went out again
somad.gif
This time it looks like the compressor fan... like I told hubby and the tech to begin with, but nooooo I'm not savvy enough with machines to know these things
idunno.gif

Oh well...... I turned the light back off and put it under a window, no turner but the little fan may be cranking up a bit of heat. If my first batch in 20 years makes it through all this, it was meant to be. If not, I'm buying myself a very late b-day gift and going back to the breeder I got my 3 ee pullets from and getting a few more.

Back
Top Bottom