Temp Fluctuations +

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Reyvaughn, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Okay, so for the first 2 days the still air LG ran at 100 degrees without fluctuation. I removed a plug Saturday and then it started fluctuating from 99-100. Now the plug is still out and it's going from 97-102. What happened from Friday until yesterday? Is 102 dangerous? I know 97 isn't good. My eggs arrived just a few minutes ago and they are setting out letting the air cell stabilize, but my temps aren't stable. So, what should I do for the temps? And, if I can't set my eggs today, will they be okay to sit for a bit yet (it's 74 during the day and 60 at night in the house)? Should I refrigerate? I'm concerned because some of the eggs were collected on 6/29 as it is.

Plus, I have other eggs coming and I have to delay some anyways... How long is to long and what should I do to store these eggs in the mean time?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

My LG runs hot if the water gets low- keep tabs on your water/humidity.

102 is not dangerous in my experience, it takes the inside being over 105 for a time before proteins start to denature (fall apart)

3. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Ventilate, if it doesn't stablize add a few stones.

4. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    oh, it also takes quite awhile for the temp of the water to stablize, by the time the temp stablizes the eggs will be ready to be added. Don't add them when the temps are fluctuating as the first few days they are at their most delicate time.

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I put a plug back in, as that's the only thing that's changed. I will just have to watch it and hope that put things back the way it was. Oh, and I am dry incubating, so no water right now.

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:I cant get my LG to like dry at all- good luck-

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi, Reyvaughn

I've been setting up a still air LG since Sat. A bit of a challenge isn't it.

I'm going to follow the instructions of water in the bottom; need to put in a tube for refilling without opening the lid. And I have mason jars filled and ready to put in. I only have a few turkey eggs to set, then in a week add a few chicken eggs. I'm worried about fluctuations, so that's why I will fit in 4 mason jars with water and a small water bottle.
    I'm still working on getting the temp right! Using 3 toilet paper rolls I set the calibrated thermometers on top to set the temp. With one plug in and one plug out (at cord).

I thought I would be ready at noontime but not!!! Eggs are still in our cool basement waiting; time is getting short--my first egg was collected on July 2nd. I'm feeling the pressure like you! Patience, Patience, Patience. ANd my hen is not laying as many now . . . ah, the pressure!

I may loose a couple, but if I don't get the temp right and stable, they will ALL be cooked.
    Patience.

I feel for you!

8. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    What is your air temp in the room? Mine does well between 65 and 75 but above that it gets a little less reliable. I pulled the shades in the room it is in so the sun can't make the temp go up and made sure that all drafts were sealed so there was nothing that could be a problem. You will get some temp variation but you can go as high as 102 and as low as 98 without adjusting. All I do to adjust is to pull the plugs if it gets too hot or add them back in if it gets too cold. Today because it's over 100 and we have no air conditioning I have placed a fan on top of the incubator to drop the temp of the air it's pulling in and now it's stable again. Your eggs can wait up to 10 days to go in from the time they were hatched so I would figure no more than 5 days after you get them.

Good luck in your incubating.

9. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Don't forget when you add the eggs they will need to come up to temp as well so you will see a temperature fluxuation.

10. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I am going to set them tomorrow and hope I don't see to many more serious ups and downs.

The ambient room temp is between 60 at night and 74 during the day. I closed up my kitchen windows after I had test run this incubator for the first couple of nights. It made our nights a living nightmare with the heat, but oh well. But, I couldn't monitor the temps overnight like I can now with this new digital thermometer. It tells me the high and low for a period of time. I figured with today and tomorrow's heat I'd have some spikes, but the room they are in is a cooler room with little sunlight coming in and the incubator is far from the windows. Honestly, this house stinks for incubating. I'm not going to lie. If I get ha;f my eggs to hatch, I'll be surprised because of the way this house is set up and how nothing is stable. Gotta love old circa 1800's farm houses that are falling down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by