Temp for babies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladyomaha, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I have a baby duck who is getting to big for the Brooder Box, and we have 5 baby chicks and 2 other ducks in there, so we moved him to the Chicken coop with a Heating lamp and all, but my question is we had a previous Chick out in the Coop who is now 6 weeks old, will he be alright or does he still need a heating lamp? What age do they no longer need heat? supposed to get down in the Low 30's tonight. Just want my lil Lemons to be alright, also he wont go in the Coop he gets picked on so he found a place in with the turkeys for the night (outside)

2. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Any Ideas Anyone, My little one is outside and if I need him to be in I need to go get him before he gets to cold.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am a softy so I give mine some heat.

4. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Once they have all their feathers in, they no longer need a heat source.

However, even a grown bird with feathers should not be taken from warmth then put into the
    cold with no gradual getting used to it. Inside a brooder, your supposed to start out at around
    95F and lower the temperature 5 degrees every week until they have all of their feathers. So a
    6 week old bird in the brooder would be housed at around 70F-65F. If it is getting into the low
    30's he'll need a lamp.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by