Temp in homemade incubator

lotsachicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 25, 2010
S. Texas
I just finished my homemade incubator. Basically a wooden box (3/4' plywood ) with a plastic viewing window. I have messed with the thermostat(wh type) for the last 24 hours, finally getting it to turn on at 99 and off at 100.9. The thermostat is now about an inch or so away from light bulb (60 watt) so I think this is the best I will get. The temp in the water wiggler only changes by about 0.4 of a degree. My question is, should I go more by the air temp or the water wiggler temp(ranges from 99.5 to 99.9). The humidity is running just under 50% I can add more surface area for lockdown. Any advice would be appreciated as I would like to set eggs on friday. TIA.

Honestly? Temps are going to change once you set the eggs. You really need to set them, wait 8-12 hours and then start adjusting. I have found regulating temps and humidity before settings eggs a waste of time. Personally, I would set the eggs, wait and then start adjusting. I have to do this with every hatch, and every hatch is different too. My Brinsea tends to run at 100 degrees after setting, and about 98 before.

Thanks for the advice, this is my first attempt at hatching (sheesh who knew chickens would be so darn addictive!) I guess I should set them in the morning then as I have to work friday night and wouldnt be around to work with temps and humidity once eggs are set.

This is my first time to incubate eggs, but what I have found most helpful in regulating the temperature is a reostat cord to control the light bulb. I have a thermostat installed, but it is really finicky. With the reo-stat cord all I have to do is slightly touch the switch and I get a near instant adjustment. I like it quite a lot.

Jenny

Quote:
I work too and have the turner on my bator. Check it before you leave, and if you have to adjust it, do it a TEENY bit. Eggs at the beginning and end are ok for major adjustments.

If your steady anywhere between 98 an 102 I would let it be. They will hatch fine. Over tweaking will drive you crazy an not help any. Also if its working right before adding eggs don't adjust the thermostat unless you see WW temps above 102 for the first day anyway. Odd reading the first 24 hours is normal.

In reality WW temp is all that matters if you have one to monitor.

Back
Top Bottom