Temp too high for 3 hours!

I thought the whole point of hatching eggs in a classroom was so that all the little rugrats could see the miracle of life?

Is the second one in the middle of zipping still?
When I wrote that, they had both fully hatched. They only took about an hour to zip (about 12 hours after pip). The second one survived the night, and is now entertaining the kids. They loved when it fell asleep in its food dish! I now am keeping an eye out for spraddle legs. When it walks it seems weak, not all the way upright, and when it lays down its legs aren’t underneath it. When it walks it kind of jumps around-still normal?

If any of mine have any trouble walking, I always put them in a small dish that the chick can jump out of, but that it must stand up to get out. That usually helps them gain leg strength. Are it's toes curled? Did the other chick hatch? They have to have another chick in with them. Otherwise they get really distressed. Buddies really help. :)

If any of mine have any trouble walking, I always put them in a small dish that the chick can jump out of, but that it must stand up to get out. That usually helps them gain leg strength. Are it's toes curled? Did the other chick hatch? They have to have another chick in with them. Otherwise they get really distressed. Buddies really help. :)
No toes curled. I decided to tape the legs with vet tape. It’s working really well! It took about 10 minutes and then the chick got used to standing upright. It’s been eating and drinking fine, and wasn’t bothered by preschoolers looking at it all day. Unfortunately it doesn’t have a buddy. Do you think I could introduce it to my 3-month-old silkies? They’re supposed to be great mothers, but I don’t know at what age that instinct kicks in. I also don’t know if they’re hens! Right now it doesn’t seem to mind being alone, so I‘ll keep it at school during the week.

Thanks for all your support!

I wouldn't put it with the silkies, they might crush or smother it. Sounds good! Keep updating :)

I wouldn't put it with the silkies, they might crush or smother it. Sounds good! Keep updating :)

Thanks, I won’t put them together.

First picture is at one day old with splayed legs. Second is standing up at two days old. It’s name is now Nutmeg.
D6A6514C-5A0A-4762-BB7C-7979EBF9DA34.jpeg
7C1E918E-FF3E-4D7A-B495-27CB90411365.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom