Temp v chicken breed???

ChiLady

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Walton KY
OK group I have the foam incubator, and have the eggs what next? The eggs are out of our Australorp and Buff Orpington hens and a Americana rooster. So at what temp should I have the heat set at to hatches our eggs, how many times do you turn an egg in a day, how long should they be in there? What do you do with them once they are hatched? How long can and egg last with out heat on it before it is no good to try and make a chick? Basically when does an egg go bad? Thanks for any help you can be, God bless.

Francine

I agree with the other person on another post. You should definitely do your research (ie. reading every book and website on hatching you can find) before attempting to hatch eggs. I think there are some good sticky posts at the top of the boards that will help.

well 1st you want to be keeping your eggs in a place that's cool but not as cool as the fridge. I keep mine in the basement where it's around 60 which I think is still a bit too warm but it seems to work out ok. you want to mark one side of your eggs so you know which side was up last & they have to be turned twice to 3 times a day even prior to being set in the bator.

You want to start that as you are setting up & getting your incubator ready. When I set eggs in my little giant still air I keep the temp between 99. to 101. You want the temp set prior to putting in the hatching eggs & when you know it's at a steady temp & you put your eggs in it'll drop at the start & then slowly come back up to temp. Of course you continue to turn as you incubate.

Good luck
fl.gif
& keep everyone here posted.

So it doesn't matter what breed it is, they are all the same temp? Also how long does it take, I heard somewhere it was 21 days?

Francine

No the breed of chicken does not matter it's only when you go to a different kind of bird like a a duck or maybe the game birds that things may change. I'm not sure if you need to read every book you can get your hands on before starting, but it would be ahelp to read a bit here & to find some basic instructions. I like this for basic straight forward instructions. They've been a family business for generations.

http://www.gofflepoultry.com/Incubate.html

Back
Top Bottom