1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temperament of white vs. buff orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Summer98, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Is there a difference in temperament between the buff and white orpingtons? Sounds like everyone agrees that the buffs are good pets.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It all depends on the lineage of the chicken for any breed.

Some strains of chicken are nicer than others. Some breeders cull all their nasty roos and the breeders left are nice. Hence the offspring are nice.

I have had white Orpingtons before from a hatchery. They were almost as aggressive to other chickens as the Golden Sex Links I used to have, and I sold them at auction. My Buff Orpingtons from a hatchery are not nearly as aggressive.

My theory is that they were recently outcrossed with another breed or something- the strain I had.

Don't let me dissuade you from getting white Orps though. You might have a different experience than me.

3. chamoisee

chamoisee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    I don't mean to cause thread drift here...but I am curious to know whether the Black Orpingtons are as sweet as the Buffs? And then I saw a gorgeous Lavender Orpinton Roo today.....[​IMG]

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    IMO the black ones are sweeter. I suppose that is because they are almost all from breeders rather than hatcheries.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I have two black orps: one is just so sweet and the other is aloof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by