Temperature & adjustments

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fshinggrl, Mar 29, 2011.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I just read a post that said do not change it, even if the temp fluctuates (I think that is how I translated it). I've had my incubator (brower top hatch) running now for 2 days without eggs. It's been sitting at about 99-100 degrees. This morning, I got up and it read 102~! I adjusted the temp down. When I have eggs, should I be just leaving it alone or watching & adjusting?

Sorry, newbie questions... I want this to happen (hatch). I am going to be such a nervous nellie!

2. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    i'd say that you were right on to adjust the temperature when it got to 102

what kind of incubator are you using? i can adjust mine pretty easily, so i do.

3. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:I am borrowing a brower top hatch. I just looked again and it is still high. [​IMG] Eggs come tomorrow.

4. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Where is your incubator at? You want it in the most temperature stable area possible preferably an interior room with no windows. Also you can get "blankets" for top hatchs that wrap around the bowl part and seem to keep it more stable. Maybe a toel and clothespins would work in a pinch?[​IMG]
    Aprille

5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    You should stay between the range of 97F and 102F, Don't adjust unless it gets

below or above that. When you have eggs, somtimes you have to adjust.

Be sure your incubator is out of direct sunlight. Away from windows, doors & AC

vents, all these things will affect temps. It's recommended to put the

incubator in a room that stays between 65-75 F.

[​IMG]

ScissorChick

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  6. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yes, it is on my kitchen counter. The living room would have noon sun & possibly meddling hands (toddlers/kindergarteners). The downstairs runs about 60 degrees. It has not been fluctuating that much since I started it on Sunday. Thanks for the help & tips!

7. happydog

happydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by