Temperature controller for DIY Incubator

I do all incubation, hatching, and brooding with an Inkbord 308. I use it in degrees C for better temperature control. The alarm is vital in case the heat source malfunctions. The ITC-308 costs a little more than the small modules but they are ready to go out of the box, sealed units, that can be used for many many purposes. And to top it off the customer service of Inkbird is great. I bought a new unit, didn't open/use it for a couple months, and when I did use it I found that the alarm didn't make sound. A quick email to the company with a video of the problem and then sent me a new unit. Great product! I own four of these.
View attachment 3676834
Thank you. That one looks perfect for my needs. At your suggestion I went ahead and ordered one this morning!

I just digged out this old thread. I used an under $20 Amazon plug in heat mat thermostate controller for my 10 egg capacity DIY still air incubator. I used a lamp and a small heating pad for heating and a microwave steamer I purchased on Temu for setting the eggs. The steamer has a clear top with vent hole, plus I drilled a few more for temperature sensor and venting. It's double layered, so the bottom pan can hold a moisted handtowel for humidity. I also put a digital thermometer+hygrometer inside. The total setup cost me around $25.
The downside with the cheaper thermostate controller is that it only lets me set the max temp in whole F or C. But it does display temperatures in one decimal. It operates in 2F range. I let it operates at 99-101F.

I used this set up hatched out couple of Trader Joe's $4 a dozen fertile eggs, out of 8. However, I was just experimenting with it and adjusting alot of parameters along the way, so the two chicks didn't survive beyond a few days and it took 25 days for them to hatch!

Now I'm going to try a spare rice cooker I have by setting it on Warm function and using the TC and a steamer insert :rant. I guess I just like to experiment with things and observe the process out of shear curiosity.

I do have a very small flock of backyard hens I raised from locally bought baby chickens.

Back
Top Bottom