Temperature fluctuation in incubator??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thebirdguy, Jan 5, 2011.

1. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    I'm finishing up my homemade incubator and test running it in preparation for the Chinese New Years Day hatch. Now that I have the trays in, it seems like I have some thermal banding... I have a good sized fan blowing horizontally at the top of the incubator and my heat sources are all at the top. I have the temperature probe for the thermostat inside of a small water wiggler.

Will it matter if there is a little more temperature fluctuation at the bottom of the incubator compared to at the top?

Would there be a problem if I had the fan blowing straight down or would that affect the eggs right below it too much?

Where in the incubator would be the best place for my wiggler?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I really don't know much about incubators other than my own, the Brinsea. However, I DO know that the temp and humidity changes once the eggs are added. Maybe experiment with some eggs from the store to get your adjustments right.

3. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Isn't the routine to get your bator running and temps set where you want them, get the eggs to room temp, set the eggs in the bator and then do not make any adjustments for +/- 2 hrs giving your bator time to adjust to the eggs being added?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Pretty much.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I have found that it can take anywhere from 8-12 hours for temps and humidity to settle down. I also have found, for me, trying to adjust the temp and hunidity before setting the eggs is only frustating.

6. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    I'll be setting my first batch of eggs next Wednesday--probably just 3 dozen to start out with so I won't worry too much about my temp fluctuation right now.. I did put a couple of big ceramic tiles in the bottom of the bator to use as heat sinks which should help out a little..

Should I keep my fan blowing horizontally or move it to blow down on the eggs?

7. boxleyjoe

boxleyjoe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    I wouldn't have the fan blowing on the eggs. Thats just my common sense. Maybe put in something to deflect the air. Maybe it will help circulation in the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by