Temperature for Ducks

Jaeden0720

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Hey there,

I have two adult Pekin ducks and I was wondering what the lowest temperature they are able to handle being outside and not in a shelter. I know they do well in shelter but was wondering how warm it has to be for them to be able to stay outside all day or night. (They sometimes sleep outside if they want to since we don't have predators by my house)

My ducks stay out day and night all winter except for a few still nights . We have a windmill that keeps a hole open in the pond most days, We skate on one side of the pond while the ducks swim on the other. We only get down to around 0 F here, but I believe they can stay out colder than that.

Generally-speaking, ducks do quite well in cold conditions so long as they are able to get out of the wind and are healthy (fully-feathered) adults. Our ducks will venture out well down into the teens and even single digits if it is not windy. They will not stay out all day in these temperatures, however. Usually they'll go for a swim, do some preening and then head back to their run. We have our predator-proof run set up with plastic on three sides in the winter, so they can choose to stay out in the run but also be out of the wind. They frequently choose to stay in the run at night, although when temps dip into the low 20s and teens, they generally all head up into the duckhouse together. We would not leave them out with no wind protection in cold temperatures, and we always leave access to the duckhouse open in the winter so they can go in.

As a sidenote: You don't have predators at your house until you do. As long as you are okay with loosing one or more ducks, that may be fine, but we sure see a lot of posts here of people scrambling to predator proof their run or house after loosing a bird(s).

Hey there,

I have two adult Pekin ducks and I was wondering what the lowest temperature they are able to handle being outside and not in a shelter. I know they do well in shelter but was wondering how warm it has to be for them to be able to stay outside all day or night. (They sometimes sleep outside if they want to since we don't have predators by my house)
I'd say well for me at least I take my ducks out when it's 50 or up

Back
Top Bottom