1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

temperature for incubating duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wanttobefarmer, Mar 25, 2011.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Hello I'm a first time duck egg hatcher. I have hatched out several chicks but this is my first time hatching duck eggs. I increased my humidity and plan on spritzing them once a day after they have been in the bator for 4 days, but my question is temperature. I have a hova bator that is automatically set at 100 degrees. There is a way to adjust the temp but I don't want to mess it up by trying. Has anyone hatched duck eggs at 100 instead of 99.5? Did you take it down to 98.5 the last 4 days? I'm hoping that I won't have to adjust the temps but since they went in today, if I need to do it I had better do it now. Thanks for the information.

2. WVman

WVman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Salt rock/Hamlin, WV
    100 deg. Is ok with a still air bator. My incubator is a forced air so I incubate my duck eggs at 99.5 and have no problems.

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    I hatch mine side by side with my chicken eggs with no problems.... I don't spray mine though and hold them at the same humidity as my chicken eggs - no higher than 50% with mine.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have hatched mine same as chicken eggs in fact last hatch the ducks and chicks hatched at the same time the ducks were a little early and the chicks a little late. DH is so proud cause he did the hatching this time and did very well we got 5 chicks out of 7 eggs and all 4 ducks.

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Quote:ok mine is a hova bator with egg turner and fan. If i have a fan is that forced air? should I turn my fan off? thanks for all the responses.

7. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    by the way they are white runner duck eggs with 3 call duck eggs. I am so excited.

8. WVman

WVman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Salt rock/Hamlin, WV
    Quote:ok mine is a hova bator with egg turner and fan. If i have a fan is that forced air? should I turn my fan off? thanks for all the responses.

If you can't get it down to 99.5 I would turn off the fan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by