Temperature for Incubator?

derricknapril

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
Oxford, GA
I just bought a new still air incubator and automatic egg turner. Just got it all ready for a test run, I have 16 silkie eggs going in it. It said to run for 6-8 hours to stabilize the temp. What does the temp need to be stable on? This will be my first hatch. I am so anxious, nervous, and excited all at the same time. I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much

Usually about 99 degrees- the reason you run the incubator a while first is to make sure it is holding its temp. I did my first batch a while ago- the temp was great, but apparently I killed the eggs on the humidity, so make sure you watch that too.

Ok, great thanks, Yea I am watching the water. I hope everything goes well. Also do I need to start calculating the 21 days from the first day I set them, or the first day would be the day after being set?

99-100 for forced air (bators with fans) and around 101, don't go much over 102 at max, for still airs (without fans). Make sure you are measuring on top of the eggs especially for still airs. Different areas and especially different heights in the incubator will be different temperatures.

1 day is 24hours after you set them. So if you set them today at 3 in the afternoon then 3 in the afternoon tomorrow is when they would be 1 day old. At 21 days old they should hatch within about 12 hours of that. So again if you set them at 3pm today they should pip within 12hours of 3pm on the 16th if your temperatures are dead on. Thermometers are never completely accurate unless you spend quite a bit of money on them and there aren't too many good ways to test them so most people's first hatches end up a day or 2 off and you have to adjust for the next hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom