Temperature is rock-steady, but too low.

Sonoran Silkies

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Tempe, Arizona
Turned my Sportsman off to do a thorough cleaning. Nice and clean, and everything works fine, except that I cannot get the temperature to go above 97.5 degrees. It has a solid state thermostat, with a backup wafer. Any ideas?

It would depend on which model sportsman you have, and whether the thermostats are wired in series like the 1200 models or the either-or setup as used in the 1500 models. If they are wired in series it may just be that the wafer is turned in too far and shutting the heat down instead of the electronic t-stat. If it is the model where you have to unplug the electronic and plug in the wafer, then the electronic might have failed and you may need to switch to the wafer until a replacement can be obtained.

It would depend on which model sportsman you have, and whether the thermostats are wired in series like the 1200 models or the either-or setup as used in the 1500 models. If they are wired in series it may just be that the wafer is turned in too far and shutting the heat down instead of the electronic t-stat. If it is the model where you have to unplug the electronic and plug in the wafer, then the electronic might have failed and you may need to switch to the wafer until a replacement can be obtained.
I think that is what it was. They are wired in series, with the wafer working as a backup to the electronic thermostat. Finally dawned on me that that could be it, and once I started adjusting the wafer I've been able to get the electronic one higher. Still dialing in the wafer to set it at about 101-102, but am getting close. Then to be able to back off the electronic one to the 99.5 thta sems to hatch the most eggs for me.

I honestly cannot tell you exactly which model I have. It was originally configured for emu eggs, with strange "baskets" with springs to hold the eggs in place.

Back
Top Bottom