Temperature is stressful

Caseym1717

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2018
Fresno, California
Hello all. My chicks are three weeks old tomorrow. We decided to put them in their coop last night and they did great. We put the heat lamp in and everything was perfect. Temps have been upper 60s/low 70s and 40-50 at night. Well today I came home and realized I should have turned the heat lamp off because the poor babies were roasting and panting and so hot because it got so warm in the coop. I felt terrible. I immediately took them out and put them in the shade and they were as happy as can be and everything is back to normal. So right now, it is 75 degrees in their coop without the heat lamp on. I imagine I will turn it on tonight when it drops to the 40s but during the days this week, where its in the mid 60s, should I keep it off? I don't want them to be hot but also never cold! The coop is closed. There is a little window I can open if need be. Im just curious if 75 in the coop is okay for them. Can i add like a warm blanket or something? I just don't want to come home to them roasting again. It was so sad

Switch to a 60 to 75 watt incandescent bulb. They don't need much heat at
75 degrees and should do fine in the 40's with a 75 watt bulb.
They are about fully feathered now, right?
Best,
Karen

Best,
Karen
Oh my gosh, i didnt even know you could switch to a bulb like that! Thank you so much Karen, that gives me peace of mind!

Best,
Karen
So I ended up going to a local store and they suggested a dimmer. Such a great idea! I attached the dimmer which controls the heat and its perfect

Back
Top Bottom