Temperature of water in winter for better egg production

CMthomas

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 5, 2012
Recently I've read that if you keep the water warm during the winter, it'll help your chickens with egg production - as in: production won't drop. We have a heated waterer but I think it keeps it just above freezing in the winter. So my question is - for the whole "warm water helps with egg production" thing, how warm should the water be?

I've never heard of this. I thought it's been pretty well established it's the amount of daylight that determines production, not temperature.

Hey Donrare, had to laugh at your quote. I see you are a Walking Dead fan! That was Dale.... I miss Dale.
sad.png
Well thank goodness someone finally caught it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had that quote up for feels like forever and was starting to think I was going to have to offer hints or something.

I cried when Dale died. Bawled like a baby. A hungry, angry baby.

Hey, maybe that's my next quote?

There have been studies and poultry drinks more water when it is cold if it is somewhat heated. My water ranges from 45-55 and they drink more than when it is not heated. More water will result in better egg production.

:rolleyes:well, I certainly won't get that one!
Have a good one :) btw, I too was under the impression that adequate daylight hours were the main reason for consistent egg production in a healthy chicken.

:rolleyes:well, I certainly won't get that one!
Have a good one
smile.png
btw, I too was under the impression that adequate daylight hours were the main reason for consistent egg production in a healthy chicken.

You would be better to put an outside light around the hen house. Amber light. Just so some light can shine through. I have a street light 10 yards from my hen house. And they lay just as many in the winter as they do in the summer.

You would be better to put an outside light around the hen house. Amber light. Just so some light can shine through. I have a street light 10 yards from my hen house. And they lay just as many in the winter as they do in the summer.

i just wanted to say i like this: To me, death is a spiritual thing. Everything in life must die. Everything in life, must take life in some form to live. Life begets life. We can't get around it. What we can do is respect that life. Take care of what takes care of us. Treat your food like it will soon become part of you, it will.

it was/is at the bottom of your post

Back
Top Bottom