TEMPERATURE QUESTION in Home-made incubator....IS THIS OKAY????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Layin Eggs, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    Tomorrow evening makes day 18 [​IMG] . Because of our scattered hatch, we will be moving the first set of eggs into our home-made (hubbybator). We have had the bator running for the past two days to make sure temp and humidity is stable.

My question is....When the lightbulb is on we get a reading of 100.2 but once the lightbulb shuts off temp drops to 99.4. The temp probes are in a water wiggler. Will this constant back and fourth temp change be something to worry about?

any suggestions to stabalize it better? Thanks Lisa

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    No that is fine even my sportsman will have readings of 99.5 - 100.5 so you are fine. Good luck on your hatch. I have 3 frizzle cochin that have hatched with more on the way.

3. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    You're fine, I wouldn't worry about it. I still have bigger variations in my homemade incubator, but have a 30-40% hatch. Doesn't seem too good, but I've had other various problems with the hatches.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is fine. The air temp will flunctuate more readily than the actual inside of the eggs.

5. Layin Eggs

Layin Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2007
    South Eastern, MA
    Thanks, I hope they will be ok. I just found it odd that the temperature varied so quickly especially being in the water wiggler.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by