Temperature Tolerance for 6 week olds

Chicken Man Can

Chirping
Nov 27, 2022
Have 4 assorted egg laying breeds. They hatched on the 17th of October this year. They are getting too big for their brooder and are always trying to fly out so we want to migrate them in to coop. This is their first day in the coop but we were worried about the 30F that is reached at night so the whole brooder is in the coop with them inside of it (heat lamp attached).

Are we being overly protective? Can they endure 30F, they have feathers?

Have 4 assorted egg laying breeds. They hatched on the 17th of October this year. They are getting too big for their brooder and are always trying to fly out so we want to migrate them in to coop. This is their first day in the coop but we were worried about the 30F that is reached at night so the whole brooder is in the coop with them inside of it (heat lamp attached).

Are we being overly protective? Can they endure 30F, they have feathers?
Remove the heat lamp. They will never acclimate if you keep heat on fully feathered pullets.

I used the Mama Heating Pad method and they weaned themselves off the heat, then I tossed my feathered 6 weeks old outside without any heat and they did fine. I think temps were mid to upper-40s? So long as they're not getting pelted by wind or a breeze they'll huddle to keep warm.

You shouldn't go from heat lamp straight to 30's, that's too abrupt and extreme.

First things first... what does their feathering look like in detail? Is all of their down covered completely with feathers? Some breeds feather in fast, some moderately, and some really, really slow.

If they are ready (no bare spots), then you want to withdraw the heat slowly by raising the lamp, and incrementally reduce the hours that it's on. It should cover the span of a week at freezing temperatures to go from full heat to none.

The danger is not strictly whether they freeze or not, but that sudden changes are stressful on their immune systems, and at this age and moving to the coop is a time of exposure to bugs they haven't encountered before.

They are six weeks old, they can endure 30 F (-1C) as long as the coop has decent ventilation and protects them from a direct breeze where they are, which should mean down low in the enclosed section.

Since you have electricity out there you can provide supplemental heat if you wish. I don't know what your coop looks like or how many chicks you have. People use heat plates, heating pads, heat lamps, or other means to provide that heat. The main idea is to provide one spot they can go to so they can warm up if they want to but have plenty of cooler space so they don't overheat. If your coop is tiny or poorly ventilated a heat lamp may not allow it to cool off enough for them to get acclimated so turn it off during the day.

If you use that heat lamp do not use the clamp that comes with it. It is dangerous to rely on that clamp. Hold that heat lamp in place with wire or chain so it cannot fall. Do not use the clamp, string, or plastic. Wire or chain only.

Remove the heat lamp. They will never acclimate if you keep heat on fully feathered pullets.

You shouldn't go from heat lamp straight to 30's, that's too abrupt and extreme.

First things first... what does their feathering look like in detail? Is all of their down covered completely with feathers? Some breeds feather in fast, some moderately, and some really, really slow.

If they are ready (no bare spots), then you want to withdraw the heat slowly by raising the lamp, and incrementally reduce the hours that it's on. It should cover the span of a week at freezing temperatures to go from full heat to none.

The danger is not strictly whether they freeze or not, but that sudden changes are stressful on their immune systems, and at this age and moving to the coop is a time of exposure to bugs they haven't encountered before.

They have been slowly acclimated. I have been raising the lamp. During the day the lamp is off. Its on only at night, and even then at a off angle so its only providing minimal warmth. From what I can tell they are fully feathered, the down is gone.

I finished their new coop and was going to put them in but Dad felt that they aren't ready yet.

I used the Mama Heating Pad method and they weaned themselves off the heat, then I tossed my feathered 6 weeks old outside without any heat and they did fine. I think temps were mid to upper-40s? So long as they're not getting pelted by wind or a breeze they'll huddle to keep warm.

The new run / coop is an A frame with one part of it sheeted on 3 sides, for full rain and wind protection. Packed with straw and safe from direct nature I think they will make it. Its my Dad who thinks the morning frost (~32F) might kill them though. So for now they are still in a plastic tote.

They are six weeks old, they can endure 30 F (-1C) as long as the coop has decent ventilation and protects them from a direct breeze where they are, which should mean down low in the enclosed section.

Since you have electricity out there you can provide supplemental heat if you wish. I don't know what your coop looks like or how many chicks you have. People use heat plates, heating pads, heat lamps, or other means to provide that heat. The main idea is to provide one spot they can go to so they can warm up if they want to but have plenty of cooler space so they don't overheat. If your coop is tiny or poorly ventilated a heat lamp may not allow it to cool off enough for them to get acclimated so turn it off during the day.

If you use that heat lamp do not use the clamp that comes with it. It is dangerous to rely on that clamp. Hold that heat lamp in place with wire or chain so it cannot fall. Do not use the clamp, string, or plastic. Wire or chain only.

Ah good to know. There is an area enclosed on 3 sides below a loft and is loaded with straw. The only thing is I just want to make sure they will have the sense to use it.

granted I have a mama hen raising my chicks, they are 6 weeks old today and the temp outside was 2F with a fees like of -14F. They were out walking around in the run (plastic wrapped so no wind) and wandering away from their mom.

Once you get them weaned from heat, and they are in a draft free and ventilated place they will be just fine. You can/should keep them locked up in the coop for a week or so, so that they can know where their home is.

Back
Top Bottom