Temperment of my rouens!!!

Kaylah

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
Saint petersburg
I have 5 rouen ducks. they are about 4 months old and the males are just starting to get their feathers. I love them so much but I really want to get some other ducks to hatch. I was wondering if rouens would attack any other duck type. I was looking at getting call ducks or east indies ducks. Please tell me if Rouens get along with others, specifically those, and if so how would I introduce the new ducks into their habitat without freaking them out?

Well I cant help with them being with calls or east indies. But I can say that when I added my two muscovies to my small backyard flock, my rouens where the nicest little things to them. I have both a male and female, and they both took care of them. They are the ones that showed them where the food and water was. I have to say I LOVE my rouens personality to other ducks. I even have Mandarins in a pen right next to their and they see each other through the gate. They go and lay next to the fence and try and cuddle with the Mandy's. It cute! So I think you will be okay with them being with calls or indies.

The best way to introduce them is to seperate an area for the new ones where they can all see each other but not touch each other. I always put their food right next to the fence that is seperating them. Eating together get them bonded more. When they all lay next to the fence all day long and act like they are best friends then you can put them together.

When you do put them together completely just watch them. There will be some pecking and pushing down on each other. But they are just establishing a pecking order. You can definately tell when it is aggresion rather than pecking order. Agression is when one duck chases another relentlesly trying to get it. Since there will be such a size difference, watch them closely. The rouens will most likely be the top bird because they are bigger. In being so they will peck the call or indies, but it should only last a few days then they should settle down.

Thanks so much!!! I thought my old rouens were just really mean! I had no idea how to introduce them and I guess letting them together at first just freaked them out. This deffenitly helps me have confidence in adding new ducks rather than replacing them
smile.png

Are you rouens male or female? It makes alot of difference. Males will sometimes be a little meaner to new ducks. What is your whole set up? How many rouens do you have? How many are male? How many are female? Same with the calls how many male and female? Everything matters, it isnt just throwing them in with each other. (Not saying that you did or ever would)

I have 2 males and 3 female Rouens. I don't have any calls because I'm still deciding if I should get them. Right now we have a built duck house for them to go in if they want,a small kiddie pool so they can swim and then they just roam the backyard.

Back
Top Bottom