Temporary set up

mama hen

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 23, 2012
Reno, NV
My eight chicks have officially outgrown their brooders and their coop is not due to be finished for two more weeks. For temporary housing we have wrapped the bottom of our kids trampoline with hardware cloth and also included an apron to deter digging. We raised a dogloo on blocks and built a ramp. Their light is there for warmth at night, we secured it to a stake and drove it into the ground so it would point into the dogloo. Their freestanding roosts are in the dogloo as well. My only concern is the dogloo lacks a door. How do I build a door that will allow heat in and sufficient ventilation? Is a door even necessary? Also, my chicks range in ages from 3 - 7 weeks.

In your warm climate....it could be that a door won't be needed...providing that the hardware cloth around the trampoline is fully secure.

With our heat..I don't close the door to the coop nightly. I know the heat is a sure thing...but a predator that could get into the run is a maybe thing...

Spacing is fine and it's a great idea what you've done! However, depending where you are, chicken wire is worthless against predators. :(. If its not too warm at night, lock them up.

I'm using hardware cloth, not chicken wire. It's that welded wire with the green coating. We have some pavers we can use to place on top of the apron to further secure it.

I would add a door since you really never know about your local night time predators until after they pay you a visit.

To make a door make a pattern of the doorway shape and transfer it to plywood. Using a jigsaw cut two pieces of plywood (you can do both at the same time) to this size then after checking for a tight fit mark and cut 2" from the edges to make and opening. Now sandwich a piece of wire cloth between and nail/glue the two pieces of ply together. Secure the door (and a latch) to the dogloo with small nuts and bolts to keep it sturdy.

Thank you for the great suggestion! Never would've thought to sandwich the hardware cloth between the plywood.

Back
Top Bottom