Temps at night too cold? Tail feathers too long to be pullets?

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
So I have posted a few pictures of my chicks, now determined I have 4 barred rocks roosters, instead of pullets, (someone at the store will hear about that!) also determined they are around 5-6 weeks old now (I will post pics tomorrow- I need my hubby to hold them for me to shoot)

now, we have an outside run then go out to every day, they actually bring themselves in at night usually by 5pm
( I live in at over 7800 ft, and it's dropping into the 20's at night) I have a heat lamp in the coop, are they warm enough?

Do I need to provide another one, for when it drops to the sub zero temps we get here every winter?
They are really feathering out and doing GREAT! I am amazed at how fast the buggers grow!

I will soon be letting them out to free range, when they are a bit larger, we have some stray cats I am worried about...

how tolerant are they to the cold weather? I am worried they will freeze when it hits -20* or less.

Also, the Barred Rocks, 3 of them have black bands on their beaks, normal? All the chickens,
even the Australorps, that are supposed to be pullets, have combs, that are red...and HUGE tail feathers,
I mean at least 3-4 inches long already....is THAT normal or did I buy ALL roos?

I will post new shots tomorrow if anyone needs to see the pics.

thanks so much!

red combs at 5 weeks old is a really bad sign. You might have all roos but we'd need pics!
smile.png

At that age they should be okay, but personally I would add the extra lamp when it gets in the negatives and teens. Make sure they have no drafts and lots of bedding to snuggle into. I have read that they deal with cold a bit better than with heat, but man 20 below is cold!!

Back
Top Bottom