Temps dropping soon and inadequate "coop"

Let us know how it goes.

My ducks really do love snow. I was super concerned they'd be cold, but you are right: they have built-in water resistant feather parkas!

I think the forecast said 2-4", maybe 3-5" depending on the day. We do have more roofing That I could probably throw up there, but the most affective thing to do would be to take all of it down and replace it with seamless, correctly fitting chunks of roofing snapped together. I was hoping I would get to start working on my new coop before I had to do that though. ;)
I have 10 ducks 8 of which are large breeds, the other two are Mallard females. I have been looking on Craigslist and Marketplace for something of the sort. Shed, dog house, kids playhouse, chicken coop. Everything is either real expensive, or to small. I did find one that looked decent, but the seller never messaged me back.
I like the hay bale idea, straw bales would probably be a better bet, but thats definitely a good suggestion. We made our feed store run yesterday sadly, so I wish I would have thought of that before hand. Maybe we'll get a chance to pick some up Christmas day on the way to family's house. I'll keep that in mind for sure.
Thanks for the suggestions!
If you have warehouses close by you may be able to get a free shipping crate.

Main thing is getting them out of the wind and rain or snow for sleeping. Using tarps around the sides the wind will be blowing through can help and keep the snow from coming in on them so they have a dry place to sleep. I use cheap plastic shower curtains to cover both doors going into my coop because the wood doors open in and just take up too much space. So I don't use them. I just put plastic up over the screen doors covered in hardware cloth.

Last edited:
We have a small prefab coop from rural king inside a 10x10 chain link dog run. Neither of which are special fancy coops. We put tarps up along 2 sides of the dog run where the wind hits. They LOVE it. They also get a lot of straw bedding. We also added a roof for the dog run to keep the rain and snow out. We wrapped the roof in a tarp as well.

Back
Top Bottom