1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temps in Hovabator Still Air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pawnman, Jan 6, 2011.

1. pawnman

pawnman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    N.E. Tennessee
    First off I want to say that I'm addicted to my new favorite website(BYC). I can't believe all of the information I have found so far and finding new info every time I come to it. I have had chickens on and off for most of my life and decided to start again especially knowing what is in the eggs and meat now. I am in the process of building a new chicken coop which I started to call it the "Chicken Palace". This should be finished by spring if the weather cooperates which it isn't at this time. My daughter and I received incubators for Christmas to help with our new hobby that is turning into an addiction. With that said, now for the question. I am giving my new incubator a test run with some Light Brama eggs my daughter gave me. She will naturally get the finished product as I have no place for chickens right now. I set up the incubator and got the temp and humidity stable before the eggs were added. Also I have an automatic egg turner with it. My temps are anywhere between 99-100 and humidity around 45 % which I think are acceptable from what I have read. I have a thermometer/hygrometer combo and gives the lowest and highest temp and humidity reading. The big question is, last nigt the temp dropped to 97. Is that still acceptable? Sorry for the rambling on. Thanks.

2. Dixieangeln

Dixieangeln Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    NC/VA line
    Great post, I just got my Hova bator and am setting it up... hope to buy some eggs soon!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by