Tempurature Control for Sexing?????

Huny

Crowing
15 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Sunny Southern Arizona
Hey everyone, I have a gal around here that says she read a book that said if you keep the tempurature lower (99), you are more likely to get girls, and if you keep it over 100 like 101 you are more likely to get boys. Anyone ever hear of this ? I wonder if it's an older book and that is a wive's tale, or if its something about the development that it's too slow and kills the boys who knows!

Hi There,
It is more to do with if your incubation temps are higher than the desired level that the female embryo,s will die before the males do, resulting in a higher proportion of males.
Lower temps will result in later hatches but will not impact either sex resulting in more females.

Regards
Trev

wow , never heard that before , you learnt me something new today.
smile.png

Thank you !

Fay

The temp determining sex is only for reptiles. The hen determines the sex of the embryo before incubation even starts. Now, if the temps are not correct during incubation and embryos die, it's usually the females that do not make it.

Quote:
The hen... now I find that interesting, as in people it is the male's contribution that determines sex...I'd have thought the biology would be the same. Not arguing, I know less about chicken reproduction than I do about people's - but are you certain it's the hen who determines gender?
idunno.gif

Yep the hen decides the gender when the egg is made. Nothing you do will change that.

Mammalian and avian biology is very different in more ways than just the egglaying part. Yes, the hen determines the sex. It's why one hen I have throws mostly cockerels and another with the same rooster, throws mostly pullets.

Back
Top Bottom