Ten pin bowling shaped egg!

cmlw1882

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2020
Help! My hen has laid this egg she didn't lay yesterday could it be yesterdays egg not fully formed and today's egg? She attacked one of my elder chickens this morning who was in the nest box (elder one doesn't normally go in that box so she probably took umbridge) could it be that?

Attachments

• IMG-20210329-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20210329-WA0002.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 17
It appears to be two eggs fused. To be thorough, take a photo of the two eggs broken open so we can see what they contain.

It's not uncommon for two yolks to be released one right after the other with enough time in between that they aren't incorporated in a single egg as a double yolker. But it is unusual that they would fuze together in the shell gland in that manner.

Novelty aside, this indicates a possible risk if your hen continues to release two yolks in this way. She will quikcly run low on calcium to build shells, and a shell-less egg is more apt to become stuck, which can be life threatening.

The best thing to do is give a calcium tablet to help offset her low calcium stores and to help reset her ovulation cycle.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Thank you, I wondered about two eggs fused, I think a couple of weeks ago she laid 2 eggs in one day. I will give her some calcium in her food. She does have oyster shell and grit but they don't seem to eat it.

The oyster shell is calcium carbonate and hard for some hens to digest and absorb. Calcium citrate is much easier. Give one table per day until she's regular and eggs are coming out with good shells. Probably just a few days will be all that's necessary to get her back on track.

The oyster shell is calcium carbonate and hard for some hens to digest and absorb. Calcium citrate is much easier. Give one table per day until she's regular and eggs are coming out with good shells. Probably just a few days will be all that's necessary to get her back on track.
Thank you she laid a perfect egg yesterday, probably just one of those things! She seems happy too.

Thank you she laid a perfect egg yesterday, probably just one of those things! She seems happy too.
Yeppers!
I don't do anything unless a problem happens more than once.

Did you open that egg?
Really curious what was inside........it's an odd one for sure!

Last edited:
Yes we opened it, there wasn't any yolk, it was a tiny dot of yellow. The shell was pretty tough though. Verry odd.

Back
Top Bottom