"terquoise" moldy poop

beach livin'

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Manteo
so i noticed a couple days ago that there were mounds of terquoise colored poop, and it had started to sprout mold. it has been extremely wet here the past couple days and the run is compacted. i opened up the coop door to turn the straw and noticed the top layer of poop was also terquoise in color and had a layer of fuzz on it as well. the poop under it and in the straw itself was normal. can i assume the color is from the purple cabbage they have been eating on the past couple of days? and possibly the poop was moldy because of the moisture in the air? i did a good clean out of the coop and replaced all the bedding on the coop floor and dusted it all with de powder. i attempted to rake out the run, but the rain has gotten it so compacted that i wasnt accomplishing much. will just have to wait for it to dry out so the girls can scratch it back up. what are you opinions on the mold and color of poop?
am i on the right track in my assumptions?

Yes, the colour is due to the cabbage. Mold is extremely dangerous to chickens so I would get rid of it all asap. I had a whole coop of big brahmas brought down by a quarter sized piece of mouldy food that had got trapped underneath the waterer. Some recovered but 2 never did and I had to cull them.

Back
Top Bottom