Terrible quail hatch

Mortega_

Hatching
May 28, 2023
on exactly may 1st Murray McMurray delivered 25 California quail eggs to my house. All the eggs looked fine with no visible cracks I put them in my incubator set the temp and proper humidity. I am very new to this so I definitely did something wrong. 4 days ago day 23 of the hatch 4 hatched
Day 24 2 more hatched it is now day 28 and I figured it was time to open up the other eggs and see if I could find anything I candled them all regularly and threw out all the undeveloped eggs earlier. I was left with 9 unhatched eggs that looked developed. First one I opened was a partially developed embryo. The second one I opens still had an alive chick inside fully developed but did not absorb the yoke or blood in the membrane and it unfortunately died I haven’t touched any of the other ones because I don’t know what to do is there anyway to save them if there are more alive in there? I just put them back in the incubator and moved the remaining chicks to a brooder. Also 2 of the quails have problems one can’t stand up which I assume Is spyled leg and I can’t figure out how to help it nothing I’ve tried on YouTube has helped besides putting it in a shot glass to help it slowly gain strength in its legs cause it can’t tip over. The other one has curled toes which I wrapped in some medical tape to straight them but it can’t stand I think it must have also gotten a splayed leg as well cause it just kicks to the sides. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

What brand of incubator do you have? Obviously, you have hot spots and cold spots in the incubator! Do you use an independent and calibrated thermometer(s) and a salt test calibrated hygrometer?
Most incubator's manufacturers sensors are highly inaccurate and unreliable.

Putting them in a shot glass with a padded bottom, so their feet won't slip on the bare glass, will work but you have to check on them very often and offer electrolyte water, Nutri-Drench or some other form of hydration...sugar water, at least every hour or 1/2 hour!
HTH

What brand of incubator do you have? Obviously, you have hot spots and cold spots in the incubator! Do you use an independent and calibrated thermometer(s) and a salt test calibrated hygrometer?
Most incubator's manufacturers sensors are highly inaccurate and unreliable.

Putting them in a shot glass with a padded bottom, so their feet won't slip on the bare glass, will work but you have to check on them very often and offer electrolyte water, Nutri-Drench or some other form of hydration...sugar water, at least every hour or 1/2 hour!
HTH
I have a Farm innovators model 4250.
I do not have a separate hydrometer or thermometer. For the shot glasses I cut out some vet wrap in a circle and stuck it to the bottoms for padding seems to be working very well. I have some bird hydration pakcets I’ve been mixing with water and feeding them to the chicks by syringe and putting small drops on the side of there beaks. I really have no idea how much I should feed them but I just give it to them until they don’t seem interested in it.

I have a Farm innovators model 4250.
I do not have a separate hydrometer or thermometer. For the shot glasses I cut out some vet wrap in a circle and stuck it to the bottoms for padding seems to be working very well. I have some bird hydration pakcets I’ve been mixing with water and feeding them to the chicks by syringe and putting small drops on the side of there beaks. I really have no idea how much I should feed them but I just give it to them until they don’t seem interested in it.
I have 3 of the 4250 Pro and they are all inaccurate. I use Accurite Temp/Humidity monitors in all 3. Once they are salt test calibrated they are fairly accurate to use. I use antique mercury filled incubator thermometers....highly accurate!
I also use Inkbird ITC-306 T temperature controllers on mine. Keeps the temperature constant.

You can get the Accurite T/H sensors at Walmart for around $11
The Inkbird ITC-306 T is from Amazon and will run about $30 dollars but worth it.
Here's some pics of all 3
2Q==(2).jpg
20220605_002814.jpg
61BYbCRCHAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom