Terrified hen

Meegnmike

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2022
Hi, I purchased an easter egger hen yesterday who is approximately a year old. She is absolutely terrified of us. She’s in a metal crate in our run so she can get used to our other hens. I’ve introduced hens to our flock before and know it takes a bit of time. My concern is her being so terrified of humans. When I go out to the run she literally freaks out, running into the sides of the crate, squawking. I’m not sure how to help her…..😞

Hi, I purchased an easter egger hen yesterday who is approximately a year old. She is absolutely terrified of us. She’s in a metal crate in our run so she can get used to our other hens. I’ve introduced hens to our flock before and know it takes a bit of time. My concern is her being so terrified of humans. When I go out to the run she literally freaks out, running into the sides of the crate, squawking. I’m not sure how to help her…..😞
Maybe she doesn't like the crate and is sacred of it. Maybe move slowly and don't make sudden movements.
There is a bot here that can give instant answers. Maybe ask it and see what it says. Just note that it's still learning.

If your chicken is super scared or nervous around humans, there are a few things you can do to help them become more comfortable:

1. Give them space: Avoid trying to pick up or touch your chicken if they are scared or nervous. This can stress them out further and make them more fearful.

2. Spend time around them: Spend time near your chickens, so they can get used to your presence. Talk to them in a calm, soothing voice, and try to establish a sense of trust.

3. Offer treats: Offer your chickens treats, such as mealworms or corn, to help them associate you with positive experiences.

4. Create a positive environment: Provide a comfortable and safe living environment for your chickens with plenty of space, nesting boxes, and perches. Clean the coop regularly and make sure they have access to fresh food and water.

5. Use positive reinforcement: Reward your chickens when they approach you or show signs of comfort around you. This can be done with verbal praise or additional treats.

Remember, building trust takes time and patience. It's important to approach your chickens gently and with care, so they can become more comfortable around you over time.
This is what the bot said. You could try it and see if it helps.

To get a chicken comfortable to humans requires spending time with them everyday. Usually takes 2 weeks for them to trust you and to calm down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom