Terrified to free range

Rocky86

Songster
May 23, 2022
Utah
Hey all,

What is wrong with me? We have a good size yard and I have been so excited to free range. Now my kiddos are ready to be let out (with supervision) and I am terrified. Especially as yesterday I went to and a hawk flew up and landed on the fence eyeing my neighbors chickens. šŸ˜³

Any tips for deterring hawks? Adding more cover opportunities for the chickens? We live in the city. I understand having them free range is part of taking the risks, but I want them to as I donā€™t want them boxed up in just the coop and run.

I will take any advice on anything to do with free ranging. šŸ˜¬

Thank you!

If free ranging, yes enough hiding spots but as you know I am sure it is 100%.

I don't free range bc of hawks, fox and whatever else is lurking in the shadows so not much advice but good luck! I would be terrified as well.

Ok good to know! Lol makes me feel better that it may not be a necessity. The run is 6x8 with 2 large breeds and 5 bantams (anymore roos will be rehomed)

Thank you! I think our run is a little under the recommendations I have gotten here. Which I thought maybe we could let them out around if both my husband and I and our 2 heelers are all out on watch. I figured it would be good enrichment. šŸ¤£

If free ranging, yes enough hiding spots but as you know I am sure it is 100%.

I don't free range bc of hawks, fox and whatever else is lurking in the shadows so not much advice but good luck! I would be terrified as well.
Lol yes thank you very much!

I thought you were going to say you chicks were afraid to free range, they often are to start with. But no, it's you.

Any time you let the out there is a risk, even if you are there. There are stories on here where a hawk or fox took a chicken within 15 feet of where a person was standing. Some of us can free range for years without a loss, even if hawks, foxes, and coyotes are around. Others can lose chickens immediately. You just don't know what will happen.

If you or the dogs are out there, that is a deterrent. Having places where they can get under can help. That might be something propped up on cinder blocks or such. I saw where someone used an old satellite dish. Could be a bit of plywood, furniture, plastic, whatever. If they can get under bushes that could be good. Is your run covered, they may duck back in there if they see a threat. Smaller chickens are more at risk than larger chickens and you have bantams.

Some people can handle losing a chicken to a predator easier than others. That run is pretty small. It is your call but I think you'd be better off building a larger run.

As usual, RR has already said it all. Chickens do enjoy playing in the yard, but losses will happen, sooner or later. Raptors will take one bird at a time, easier to handle than a canine, who can kill everyone at once. Either way, never a good event.
So, a nice big coop and very safe run. The birds will be happy with piles of stuff added to their run to play in, and they will be safe.
Many of us have lost birds because we under built our coop and run at first. pictures of your set-up will help here.
Mary

I thought you were going to say you chicks were afraid to free range, they often are to start with. But no, it's you.

Any time you let the out there is a risk, even if you are there. There are stories on here where a hawk or fox took a chicken within 15 feet of where a person was standing. Some of us can free range for years without a loss, even if hawks, foxes, and coyotes are around. Others can lose chickens immediately. You just don't know what will happen.

If you or the dogs are out there, that is a deterrent. Having places where they can get under can help. That might be something propped up on cinder blocks or such. I saw where someone used an old satellite dish. Could be a bit of plywood, furniture, plastic, whatever. If they can get under bushes that could be good. Is your run covered, they may duck back in there if they see a threat. Smaller chickens are more at risk than larger chickens and you have bantams.

Some people can handle losing a chicken to a predator easier than others. That run is pretty small. It is your call but I think you'd be better off building a larger run.
Thank you so much for all that info! How much bigger would you reccomend for expanding the run? Total of 5-6 chickens. The coop itself is a 4x6. And yes it is covered!

As usual, RR has already said it all. Chickens do enjoy playing in the yard, but losses will happen, sooner or later. Raptors will take one bird at a time, easier to handle than a canine, who can kill everyone at once. Either way, never a good event.
So, a nice big coop and very safe run. The birds will be happy with piles of stuff added to their run to play in, and they will be safe.
Many of us have lost birds because we under built our coop and run at first. pictures of your set-up will help here.
Mary
Lol they are very spoiled chickens so I guess that counts for their happiness too! ā˜ŗļø.

Below are pics. Still finishing the coop with perching and what not.

Attachments

• 21A3B3CD-7D7D-4F63-A3EA-206EECFA125F.jpeg
    21A3B3CD-7D7D-4F63-A3EA-206EECFA125F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • C7A45081-1B08-4EAB-91FB-8CF20F08F85C.jpeg
    C7A45081-1B08-4EAB-91FB-8CF20F08F85C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 42151465-071A-4A30-8C75-E48A6446D9D1.jpeg
    42151465-071A-4A30-8C75-E48A6446D9D1.jpeg
    713.1 KB · Views: 26

Back
Top Bottom