Terror Birds

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Noymira, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I saw this crazy special last night on Terror Birds, which lived about 2 million years ago. We talk about chickens being related to dinosaurs, which they are, but these guys were much more recent and very scary! They grew to 7 feet tall, weighed up to 300lbs and could run up to 30mph.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/08/terrorbird/

Just had to share, I thought it was very cool. I was looking at my cute little chickens a bit differently this morning!

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG] cooool. I had to write a paper once in college about a bird similar these, could you imagine one of those running around these days!? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    These birds were mostly limited to South America, but not entirely. There have been finds here in North America. One of which was here in North Florida.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanis_walleri

It was 2.5 metres (8 ft 2 in) tall and weighed approximately 150 kilograms (330 lb),...

From the Wired article - a terror bird skull, an eagle's skull, and a human skull.
    [​IMG]

They were one of the apex predators of their day.

4. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I can't imagine facing one of those. Had they been around at the same time as modern humans I don't think we would have stood a chance!

It was interesting because they said it was the only time a bird the apex predator for an entire continent.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

bet they'd taste just like chicken... I mean, I bet people would have tasted like hamburgers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by