TESSA

TESSA KENNY

Hatching
7 Years
May 26, 2012
hu.gif
I AM BUYING A HOUSE SOON AND WANT A SMALL FARM IN MY LARGE BACK YARD. I'M TRYING TO FIND A GOOD MEDIUM SIZED DOG THAT WILL GUARD MY CHICKENS, PYGMY GOATS EXC. DURING THE DAY WILE THEY ARE OUT OF THEIR PENS? AT NIGHT I WANT THE DOG IN THE HOUSE WITH ME. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Yep pitt is a good one but get one bred for hunting critters like hogs, they are easy to train if you get one that hangs on your every word, mine is like that and nothing gets her birds.

I really think you have to start a guard dog(of any kind) off as a small (8 weeks old or younger ) puppy in with the flock, goats whatever ou have.

Great Pyrenees is a very common breed to guard animals Bred just for that. but still have to be started really young with the animals they will guard.
They are BIG 100 lbs or more and calm but watchful of attacks by preditors on foot or above...Also long fur and can take the cold weather while outside on guard.
I once saw 2 down my road guarding baby goats and they were on alert mode standing ears pricked.. I had only seen them as i passed by laying around sleeping but when i looked up there was an eagle circleing. That is a dog that nobody would mess with either..

Back
Top Bottom