Testing hygrometer

Dva01

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2018
Is there a better way than the salt test? I have tested all 4 of my hygrometers several times now with the tablespoon of salt and distilled water test in a air tight container and every one reads 71%. all 4 digital and different brands.

Ive tested them individual and all in the same containers with the same results, none have ever read 75%

At this point in the test you would mentally add 4% when reading the hydrometer in the incubator. Be sure to mark each one with the difference as it’s really hard to remember what each one does. Strange they all read the same. Mine are usually different.

No. The test is showing you that your hygrometers are "off". Why would you expect any one of them to be accurate? 4% variance is not a lot, but now that you have tested them, use that information! Do any of them have a reset button to calibrate the number to match your salt test?

No. The test is showing you that your hygrometers are "off". Why would you expect any one of them to be accurate? 4% variance is not a lot, but now that you have tested them, use that information! Do any of them have a reset button to calibrate the number to match your salt test?
That was my next question for op
Agree 4% is really pretty good.

It just seems like I'm doing something wrong with the testing if none of them will reach the 75%
Nope not doing anything wrong. I haven’t seen a correct one yet and when I do get a close one it seems to change. I usually go by the size of the air cell now but use the hygrometer as a backup

Thanks for the replies! I guess the reason I thought I was doing something wrong and thought they were accurate because they were all reading the same.

Back
Top Bottom