Testing My Dogs with the Flock

My dog is afraid of my chickens. They are out together all the time. My Buff Orp went after my dog the first time they were out together. My BO Poppy isn't one to suffer shenanigans! Since then, my dog has kept a respectful distance. And my doggie has good predator instincts. She will chase squirrels like crazy and herd the poor cats.

Of course, my dog is a Chiweenie, so the chickens are taller than she is - LOL! The dachshund part of her really likes rodents - lemme tell you - so I wonder if the birds are even on her radar.

Don't be soo certain with dogs around chickens if they are of the hunting breed or terrier types. Some will be fine around chickens, even perhaps it's whole lifetime, but sometimes in an instant..... the dog breed's genetic makeup will kick in and it will suddenly kill a bird for no reason And it probably doesn't even know why it killed the bird after the deed is done. That's genetics in play, sometimes deep down inside there.... it rears it's head! Just ask those pitbull owners who watches movies and shares a bowl of ice cream with their cute n' lovable teddy bear of a pitbull that one day decided to 'snap' and now they have scars to prove (if they aren't dead). Yes, there are a lot of factors to take into account, but you can never disregard genetics.

So...after 2 years of only letting my chickens free range when the dogs are inside, yesterday we forgot the chickens were out, after the dogs were out with them for about 20 minutes we found our poodle hanging out within 10 feet of them. So we were in shock and confused. I would think she would have hurt them if she was going to immediately wouldn't she? My husband found them and said the chickens weren't even afraid of her. She hangs out by their run all the time so after 2 years they know each other, but for you people that have dogs that are out with your hens, how did you safely know it was ok. This opens up a new level of safety against hawk attacks if I can let them out together, so I'd love to if we can.
Hi. We have 5 baby chicks in our house along with a large breed dog. I have not let the dog in the same room as the chicks, but she can see and hear them very well. I am thinking about allowing her back in that room, as her crate is in there if we need to put her up. My chicks are in the lower parts of their actual chicken coop, so I know they are safe from her.

Hi. We have 5 baby chicks in our house along with a large breed dog. I have not let the dog in the same room as the chicks, but she can see and hear them very well. I am thinking about allowing her back in that room, as her crate is in there if we need to put her up. My chicks are in the lower parts of their actual chicken coop, so I know they are safe from her.
That's how ours were first introduced. The chicks were in the dining room in the brooder. The dog was super interested in them, but they were safe. They basically grew up with her constantly in their little faces.

I like the idea of the leash. When I get my bantam in the summer, I will do that once they are in the yard. The smaller chickens might be tempting.

Please let us all know what transpires, @uniqueblacksheep

That's how ours were first introduced. The chicks were in the dining room in the brooder. The dog was super interested in them, but they were safe. They basically grew up with her constantly in their little faces.

I like the idea of the leash. When I get my bantam in the summer, I will do that once they are in the yard. The smaller chickens might be tempting.

Please let us all know what transpires, @uniqueblacksheep
I don't plan to free range the chicks, and the dog is never allowed to run free so a leash sounds like a great idea when they are older just to keep them all friends.

20190326_144104-1.jpg
Jr likes to hang with Olga (chick) but don't trust a terrier with birds.

I have a collie named Beau and from the first day he was excellent with the chickens. In fact, he was more scared of them than they were of him! Now he tries to get the rooster to chase him (even though he is on the opposite side of the fence!) and he is a great protector. He even chases off the hawk when it’s perched in a tree. Collies are great with chickens!

my dogs always been gentle and soft with everything. I tested him when we first got the chicks in the house in a brooder and paid no interest in them. From then on i have not one concern and he spends the whole day out with them.View attachment 1715420
hes mostly husky with some Norwegian elk hound. ive never seen a husky this careless and good with every type of animal. He will spend most of his time sitting close by them and watch in the field. If he sees something he will bark and alert us.

I have a collie named Beau and from the first day he was excellent with the chickens. In fact, he was more scared of them than they were of him! Now he tries to get the rooster to chase him (even though he is on the opposite side of the fence!) and he is a great protector. He even chases off the hawk when it’s perched in a tree. Collies are great with chickens!

collies are one of the best hearding dogs. Best breed for farm animals! my friends collie litteraly plays with the chickens and chase eachother

Back
Top Bottom