Testing My Dogs with the Flock

I wouldn't trust any dog 100%. But our daughter dumped two dogs on us and they too are acclimated to the hens. Plus both of them are old. I can let the hens out with them. I only let them out for periodic runs because we too are overrun with hawks, which I personally consider varmints rather than something nice, but admittedly that's my biased opinion as a poultry keeper. True free-ranging is in my opinion an ideal rather than something that is actually feasible.

Honestly I never really thought about it? The dogs have been around all sorts of animals at my dad's farm, when we added chickens, it wasn't a big deal -- often when we throw out food scraps you will see the chickens jumping at the dogs to try and steal their food! And they are both cattle dogs, they just all live together in harmony! Could something happen? Well, I mean it could, but it's more likely a chicken will have something else happen to it before one of our dogs hurts them...and we definitely are low on what animals even come close to the house with the dogs running around peeing on everything all the time and trying to "chase" every turkey vulture in the sky

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I thought I'd share our experience! We have 2 dogs (7yo German Shepherd and a 3 yo lab mix), 2 cats (2 yo from same litter), 3 ducks, and 10 chickens! From day one, our cats and dogs were around the chicks/ducklings. Our animals are all very curious and not aggressive, so we would allow them to smell/lick the birds when they were young. This way they all were able to get to know each other from the start, and our dogs/cats understood that the birds are friends and not lunch.

Since your dogs and chickens have been around each other, even though divided with a fence, they have had some interaction and familiarization. I would be cautious for the first little while, but if you don't see any causes for concern after awhile (you'll have to decide how long that is for you personally) then I'd say you shouldn't have any problem leaving them out together! We leave all of our animals out together without any concern for their behaviors toward each other.

As for your using your dogs as predator protection, hopefully they're better than ours are! Ours wouldn't fight anything that was trying to attack our birds. If they did, it would only be because the dogs thought the predator would make a nice snack.

I wish you the best of luck because it's a beautiful thing to watch all of your animals interacting freely!

I used to allow my dogs to have close contact with the poultry, never had any problems from my dogs. But, I stopped because I began to suspect my poultry were becoming insensitive to the predatory nature of dogs (too trusting). My primary predators are fox, dogs and coyotes.

From a year ago. The chickens bother the dog, not the other way around.

27FoRGFLVNqTaLs2VYn08iMXzDRLsvNNmvV0HSrt6S6mK4z7tjFv2_LT1_yAX1H1JpHwIWfabN8LV1hf8wTEFJW8xXwnPXW0YgC5X-I2_K7tftC5AedDS9eLVIWKUIuKIQ6VfRxNeHI1x2QbvRKBioFWXXU4k_sGiYOZqBGFZ_TMo0kX2QNyJGkhvrLOZR6g7mAmGzSwnle8ZvTWGSsJngyHMcVZwAhTjl1MHs8vbgq0UD3njQf1WM8yD_7OGd-7vflOeVZJJyZFwI3nUiX0UllWPvGxoJIzNSmERarl2Fe3gkK3CjeKffV0mntEYVOmIvCIij5v3XrS872ZIX5jGTB-lnhKV49YuF23g-bjte7gI8ujsTfLOsWb9z2vRZqGEKpt6K_bhtqM90LeIWGzFGVGdNDZ78Fv0ggX-lP9NczzJRfj2CMgUcNzxIZ-kGWL4_PZaZFeOp1dOnyv0BjYlVkJw4Ko38DsR-M_qDAENImFyA8_dnqUNXirWzJOzOrese2TnTQ3TvZ_zWQ8KvGB8q2eP6T_Ztly-oe7Mq5F6S5Qwm20qUYZh6jyVulBTJEZeu6NOcv-NVC3kezlzGcaFL31l3xXqxUfLfqWlyLvzCezR0tMOltD2FjHU2XvF1x3pMy6BcDLfKZEluHlrS2V1ubikEN37bB9jtjd8C4xZEbcBsfPQj3XojzglzNp5aU4ZV24n9ZkupPMkkm0jTLnNbMrZQ=w889-h500-no

o9VbdNeU8tI0sWnEoGqGtAMDFl9_V1hjn_4MMJhMd-57LhsKPLutbAAE2GJYApCV0MR4KSYIwTMPhIXkVv4otH71vAQ7vK9OFDIMPYGPnlx25lAHW_NFW7R9VH8vfaERP1kbu-Z3tfNsY_z1gLevjXwrKTUm1ERDgbNgwovemamT0K0nODlNpsK84ontYoR-J6Vf9z4qG6TN06ltfkjFVYln7lJm7EfPgSkqKwn5iuGegOE2cdyLDdbJcsa9qlSM_49WICiohVAFj1nDow6xPZe55-4MZmLuVIgjN4ffpK6YrIi4Bk1rvH3IVJJyJaWpihJaSG5UaaaVBzHCiCOs9KkTBW6cHq1k2uY_tdowRZEPh1iCkFGpY7GYITiECEL0lofOs5gBMn912C80WqIPD4slN0sHDACeygRnPz2Bm54ilIszgD5U7WJgw7Vo4arC7j3Y9Zigs-vHi97WlNZUGwQOmn8YKzGpGxLrBhpFVUp4eGebXCGG68-lticqr9YvTeJqgapNNVq7FGGhOo0FaaEMePi7nO91lzbbLJ8RmqHbAkzgXaMcGWzKdmE72CG8f3MtPgFO24yTRh7lyf27b6PLWwIjngnRJORjXxP0H_Up9NBfbRbA7-LfY4JtpULkt84-ejy9f_s4hbRtRR2tz3YW_QPm3oNV_bP2Byv4I9dONsh-ydgnY2htCkQav4lyMOjr7yeBKjmmvn0ku4SHhATn4g=w667-h500-no
Oh My Gosh!!! I love this! What awesome pictures and such a good puppy :love

We have 3 dogs and they all get on with the chickens. We did the same thing let them see eachother through the fence and eventually they acclimate.
However depending on your dogs be careful with food! If your feeding the girls scraps or treats some dogs get a bit nippy with the chickens.
Very good point!

Our heeler gets along with them great! He's all about fetch and herds things as he comes from a working line so we were nervous about him with our growing chicks. Initially he was jealous that we would always be going to the brooder and ooing/ahhing. He huffs/whines when something is getting more attention than him. He kept trying to sniff them but they were just out of reach and we wouldn't let him near them since they were so small. Long story short when they were about three weeks old and out in a pen on a warm day, they got loose and our pup was out there. He completely ignored them as I scrambled to gather them. He did help me find the last three that were missing. That's when I knew he'd be totally fine! He sniffs them, touches their backs with his snout and the chicks aren't even remotely bothered by it. I think it helped that I started letting him come into the garage at feeding time. He could look through the brooder fencing and they could see him too. Now that they're almost six weeks old I let them free-range in our backyard but only when he's out there (we have raccoons/coyotes/ and last week I saw a hawk a few roads over). He's fearless and definitely wouldn't let any of the above enter our yard. Or at least he'd alert us. Just time, and getting used to each other may be all that you need! Today I introduced him to our three day old lavender ameraucanas and he sniffed then moved on. I'm hopeful that our next pup (joining us in May) will be able to do the same!
Here is Arlo with his chickens:

View attachment 1719664
View attachment 1719670
View attachment 1719671
Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures!! He is such a good boy! :love

I know this is going to sound corny, but when we brought out baby ducks home we told our lab it was her job to protect them...we had to keep them on a kiddy pool in the basement for a while...every time they would get riled up she would shove her way thru the door to check on them and whine for me if she couldn't calm them down. When they went outside she would swim in the creek with them or lay on the bank watching them. I actually saw one of the running across the yard jump on her and keep running. The other side of the coin is that my neighbors dogs were also able to get near them. Lost few ducks that way. We need to keep them fenced in or be out with them since the neighbors cant seem to do the same with their dog.
I don't think it's corny at all what a sweet puppy. I'm sorry about your neighbor's dog

I have a Pointer. When I first got the chickens two years ago, she was very interested in them through their fence. They were young and she was fascinated. The first time I let them out, she would be scolded if she got near them or even “looked” at them. She had to learn to leave them alone, since she loves being with me constantly.
Now she mostly ignores them. She will watch them sometimes, but it is casual observation not the “look” of a hunter.
The only danger they are in is her stealing their bread treat,
My goal from day one of getting the chickens was for all the animals (dog, cats, chicks) to be able to coexist freely as I didn't want to have to have one out while the other in etc. My dog is a mixed Terrier breed - def a hunter. We introduced her to the chickens as babies in the basement and then eventually when we moved them to the coop. We put the time in for leash training while the birds were loose. She def wanted to kill them! LOL But we kept with it and have had zero issues - to be honest I was more concerned about the cats (how do you train cats??) but the cats could care less. Now, they are all outside freely and drama free. I really felt my dog could do it - we've had her for 12 years and think we know her. Maybe not all dogs can get there - but don't assume they can't just because of breed (as some has suggested). Training, time, and patience - good luck!

Thank you for story and optimism. I also hate to just not trust a dog because of their breed, and I think the term bird dog, can be misinterpreted. I appreciate your optimistic outlook and thank you for taking the time to respond

Lots of dogs don't hurt chickens. Others are incredibly excited by them and can't risk playing with them, with various degrees of roughness. We take our dogs out with us and watch them. We hold our birds and tell the dogs "MINE!" All except our newest young dog have been completely fine. Sounds like your poodle is, too; just take her out with them and keep an eye on them until you are comfortable. Is your poodle large enough to be left alone outdoors with hawks and coyotes? Coyotes are even in the cities, although you might not see them.
Thank you so much for your kindness amd encouragement. Yes, she is a standard, we are in the country and we can hear the coyotes howling like mad some nights, so I know they are around. Luckily we haven't seen one during daytime yet, however I have hear of others near that have :hmm

Back
Top Bottom