Testing your chickens for mycoplasma

I have him indoors in a separate building from my hens.
I am going to look into contacting someone from the show that may be interested in this info.
I have a few people that were interested in taking him. They work in the vet field and his health records will be fully disclosed.

Again, I appreciate all of your opinions and input.

I have a small flock. Nothing I plan on breeding at this time. I am taking all precautions to not expose them just because I love them and don't want them to get sick.

And I took this rooster on knowing he most likely wasn't healthy. I just felt bad for him. and I am learning a lot along this road. So it will not be in vain.

I couldn't do it without all of you. I get opinions from a few people I know at work but other than that it's all up to me. So I search for answers here.

I have a small flock. Nothing I plan on breeding at this time. I am taking all precautions to not expose them just because I love them and don't want them to get sick.

And I took this rooster on knowing he most likely wasn't healthy. I just felt bad for him. and I am learning a lot along this road. So it will not be in vain.

I couldn't do it without all of you. I get opinions from a few people I know at work but other than that it's all up to me. So I search for answers here.

So sorry you are having to deal with this.

Read up on bio-security measures and quarantine procedures. Even though you have him housed separately, taking extra precautions will (hopefully) risk the spread of illness.

There is always something new to learn and a lot of it can be trial and error. It's good that you ask questions and try to find as much information as you can.

I do hope all goes well.

Someone I know was at the Ohio show and said that there were quite a few birds that looked sick, and I've seen birds just purchased from California shows with obvious sings of respiratory infections, so I'm guessing this is not an uncommon occurrence at poultry shows.

-Kathy

It used to break my heart when I saw ill birds at the feed store, and there were a few that I brought home, but not anymore, it's just not worth the risk. Now I just tell the manager where the sick ones are.

Guess what I'm trying to say is resist the urge to "save them" and purchase healthy birds instead.

-Kathy

I like to visit the nearby poultry show, but my birds will never go, no bird will come home with me, and I'm very careful to avoid bringing any bad 'bugs' home too. I park away from the action, and when arriving home, everything I wore there, shoes and all, goes right into the washer. Careful is best. Mary

I definitely agree with you guys... I am seeing now how hard it can be to ensure your flock stays healthy.

It will be hard but I am going to resist bringing home any more birds like this rooster. Me being a newbie - I want to save them all. But you guys are right and it's just not worth it.
We are building out our next home and when we move I want to start breeding birds. This experience has educated me a lot.

I will continue to care for this little rooster because that's what I promised him. But he will be the first and last chicken rescue for me.

I definitely agree with you guys... I am seeing now how hard it can be to ensure your flock stays healthy.

It will be hard but I am going to resist bringing home any more birds like this rooster. Me being a newbie - I want to save them all. But you guys are right and it's just not worth it.
We are building out our next home and when we move I want to start breeding birds. This experience has educated me a lot.

I will continue to care for this little rooster because that's what I promised him. But he will be the first and last chicken rescue for me.
As long as you have to resources, I'd check a few birds from your existing flock....sooner the better.

Back
Top Bottom