Tethered Guinea

Last night I had to take the leather strap off the guinea's leg. He kept pulling the tether as far as he could and then would lay forward with his foot extended behind him. I think, from the way he was walking, that the leg would go to sleep and be numb when he tried to walk on it. I was afraid it might break or dislocate his ankle, knee or hip, on top of that, it looked like the foot might have been starting to swell. I sure as heck don't want to purposely injure him, so I released him. So far, all the guineas seem to be cooperating when it comes time to be cooped up. They are very skittish and will run back out if I go in to put food down but they go back in when I come out.

If you have a broody hen, let her hatch the keets and raise them. They will think they are chickens and relate more to the chicken flock and be less likely to roam.

Nope, no broody hen, no broody guineas. LOL Guineas are about 2 months old. I don't have my book right in front of me. That is a very good idea though. I wish it had come up while my broody was broody but since I don't have my book right here to check it, they might have hatched before she became broody.

Still, that idea really might work. I will have to try it the next time I have a broody. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom