1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tetracycline egg consumption

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sami, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Sami

Sami Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Barrie
    So I have had to start my hens on tetracycline as I believe the are infected with crd. The instructions are rather vague... How long do I keep them on it and for how long shouldn't I eat the eggs. This really sucks as baking season has just started. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:Mine says 5 days after last dose eggs are safe and meat is safe

3. Sami

Sami Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Barrie
    How long do I keep it treat them for?
    Thanks

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Most antibiotics need at least 5 days to have a positive effect so 10 days after you start the eggs are good.

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:7-10 days is the typical course of treatment.. after 5 days the meds will be working and you should be seeing some improvement... the additional time is needed to make sure the offending ailment is completely gone...

remember meds for the chickens are the same for us... this is why when the doc tells you to take the WHOLE script its important to follow the directions even though you may be feeling better after 3 - 4 days there is still the bacteria in your system (or in this case the chickens) but of you under treat or dont treat for long enough the bacteria will still be remaining and the next time you treat you may need a longer course of meds because the bacteria becomes resistant to the current course of meds so it may take longer to treat.. or you will need to switch to another med to fight it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by