tetracycline & kefir ?

redriding

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
british columbia canada
is it ok to give kefir while dosing with tetracycline? or am i supposed to wait until the antibiotic treatment is done ?

i know there’s a 21 day egg withdrawal, does everyone just throw the eggs away or is there something else a person could do with them ?

thanks ! 😊

I am of the group that feels that giving probiotics during and after antibiotics is the thing to do. If you give eggs to another animal or back to the chickens, there will be a trace amount of the antibiotic in the eggs. If it up to you, but antibiotic resistance is on the rise. I don’t use them, unless I know exactly what is wrong, and that it is a bacterial infection that the antibiotic would treat.

I am of the group that feels that giving probiotics during and after antibiotics is the thing to do. If you give eggs to another animal or back to the chickens, there will be a trace amount of the antibiotic in the eggs. If it up to you, but antibiotic resistance is on the rise. I don’t use them, unless I know exactly what is wrong, and that it is a bacterial infection that the antibiotic would treat.
ok thanks for that. they get kefir regularly but i thought i’d read somewhere that it would interfere with the meds so just wanted to make sure. i’m not a fan of using them either but i’ve tried all the herbal/natural options and nothings worked. vet believes it’s respiratory so not sure what else to do. my mom used to conditioner her hair with raw eggs once in a while, maybe i’ll do that 😁 i just hate wasting them

You could feed the eggs back to the chickens that are being treated, as they are getting the whole dose of antibiotic anyway, but only until the last day of treatment, otherwise it would prolong the withdrawal period.

I would not feed dairy products during the treatment with tetracycline, as some of the drug will form chelates will the calcium and as such the absorption of the drug in the intestines will be reduced, leading to reduced effectiveness.

Last edited:
You could feed the eggs back to the chickens that are being treated, as they are getting the whole dose of antibiotic anyway, but only until the last day of treatment, otherwise it would prolong the withdrawal period.

I would not feed dairy products during the treatment with tetracycline, as some of the drug will form chelates will the calcium and as such the absorption of the drug in the intestines will be reduced, leading to reduced effectiveness.
that’s a great idea, thank you ! 👍

ok i will hold off on the kefir til i’m done then, thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom