Texas heat shade idea!! (Pics included)

Here you go guys! It is completed, so heres some pictures!
DCCE7243-0BF8-48F3-99E3-4BA84C976B14.jpeg
5F921069-5D07-4B22-8CCB-A54BE681340A.jpeg

I know I'm a little late to respond to this thread, but thank you for posting this! We've been trying to come up with ways to shade our run, and this is perfect.
You’re welcome! You could always just string shade cloth from the grommets, but it will end up ripping in the wind eventually, so that’s why I chose cattle panels for the support. I hope the cloth will last much longer!

I used the aluminet shade cloth over part of my run for a couple of years. It works well although I do find they absorb some of the radiation and reradiate some of the longwave infrared back down to the surface...but it’s still better than having the full sun beating down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D342QLR/

I decided to grow a bunch of grapevines along the run up cattle panel trellises and let the vines climb up and over the hawk netting. They get the grapes that fall in, the leaves provide shade in the summer, and then in the winter the leaves are gone and the sun can shine through. Win-win-win.

Last edited:
You’re welcome! You could always just string shade cloth from the grommets, but it will end up ripping in the wind eventually, so that’s why I chose cattle panels for the support. I hope the cloth will last much longer!
We spent the weekend putting together the shade to go over our teeny run, and WOW! What a difference! It's so much cooler under there! This was such an easy project, the hardest part was maneuvering the hog panel from the truck to the yard (definitely a two person job for us), once we got all the materials there it took just 10 minutes to get the t-posts in and the hog panel up. I went a little overboard with the zip ties so that part took awhile, but it was worth it! Turned out great! Thank you so much for the inspiration, our chickens appreciate it!
20210328_133045.jpg
20210328_133034.jpg

Maybe a stupid question...but won't be my first LOL
Is shade cloth waterproof?
My run is coming this week and it comes with one piece covered by tarp but the other 3 sections open. So we had assumed we would get tarps for other 3 sections.

Maybe a stupid question...but won't be my first LOL
My run is coming this week and it comes with one piece covered by tarp but the other 3 sections open. So we had assumed we would get tarps for other 3 sections.

I don't think so. I could be wrong.

I like having some of the run covered and some open so that the chickens can choose their preferred environment. It's surprising how often they'll choose to forage in the rain.

The stuff I have is a 'woven' (it's actually more like knitted loops) plastic mesh,
so yes it is water proof.
The higher the shade percentage the less light, air, and water, that will go thru.
I find mine (80%?) sheds a light rain fairly well, rather than letting it straight thru.

Back
Top Bottom