Texas Law and HOA

They should pass this in other states. Damn this is awesome!

Down with tyrants! Down with the (captivity still exists) slave owners!

Similar bills should go up in other states.

They have terrorized literally millions now in this country and work pretty effectively at being anti-constitutional in their applied behaviors.
The people who are in HOA's agreed to be in a HOA, it is a contract and is enforceable.
Why anyone would choose to live in an HOA is another story, but it is not illegal

The people who are in HOA's agreed to be in a HOA, it is a contract and is enforceable.
Why anyone would choose to live in an HOA is another story, but it is not illegal
That assumption is based on the fact that people believe you CHOOSE to have an HOA. But in recent years HOAs have expanded so much with housing that you can't find houses without HOAs anymore.

Therefore, not legal.

Captivity.

For it to be legal, people have to have a choice. They don't anymore.

That assumption is based on the fact that people believe you CHOOSE to have an HOA. But in recent years HOAs have expanded so much with housing that you can't find houses without HOAs anymore.

Therefore, not legal.

Captivity.

For it to be legal, people have to have a choice. They don't anymore.
They do.

They can choose to live elsewhere.

The larger question, impacting a LOT of issues, is why there isn't more housing - and I can offer lots of reasons, but it will quickly get political. BYC isn't the place for that.

The combination of zoning ordinances, permitting, and HOAs existing in an area is a reflection of its voting history, its investors, and the desires of the purchasers. That you don't care for the way a place has evolved does not permit you to void its rules simply because you feel required to live there. There are some 300,000,000 square miles (roughly) of land in the continental US. You have choices.

My issue with my HOA is that the homeowners didn't set the covenants... The developer did and when they filed it with the county the chose to set the time limit of 25 years before they expire and then they auto-renew for another 25 years. Only during a 1 year period after 25 years can the covenants be changed with a 2/3 majority vote of homeowners. I believe we have the 2/3 majority voted to change the rules, we just don't want to wait 25 years to do it.

We Need the help of all Texans to call their Senator and ask for their support of the HB 1686. See below for info on the bill and how to contact your Senator. Please help those of us who are fighting their HOA and City Municipalities.

HB 1686, the Home Food Security Act, has passed the Texas House by a vote of 143-1! Now the Senate must pass the bill for it to be sent to the Governor to become law!

HB 1686 says that municipalities and HOA’s can’t prohibit you from having up to 6 laying hens, 6 rabbits, (with no more than a total of 8 ) or a front yard garden. It also says that HOA’s can’t prohibit your cottage food operation. Reasonable regulations for noise and odor control are part of this bill – and no roosters.

We all saw the breakdowns in the food supply chain this past year. COVID. Meat-packing plants shut down. The Great Freeze in February with empty grocery shelves and lines out the doors. We can increase our food security if we can produce food for our families on land that we already own.
CALL:
Find out who your Texas State Senator is by entering your address at this link:
https://wrm.capitol.texas.gov/home
Click on the name that is “Texas Senate District XX”. Their phone number starts with 512-463-XXXX.
OR you can just call the Capitol Switchboard at 512-463-4630 and give the operator your address and ask to be connected to your Senator.
(Don’t call Ted Cruz or John Cornyn, they are our US Senators and can’t help with this!)
Call that number above, and when the staff person answers the phone, say: “Hi, my name is _____ and I am a constituent. I am c
alling to ask Senator ____ to vote YES on HB 1686. It has already passed the House.

You can add a sentence or two about why the bill is important to you: be concise. This is the busiest time of session, so shorter is better!

Read the bill (click the Text tab, choose House Committee Report):
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx…
I wish I had heard about this. I saw a post on facebook a week after it already died... I swear it tries to block everything important.

What
We Need the help of all Texans to call their Senator and ask for their support of the HB 1686. See below for info on the bill and how to contact your Senator. Please help those of us who are fighting their HOA and City Municipalities.

HB 1686, the Home Food Security Act, has passed the Texas House by a vote of 143-1! Now the Senate must pass the bill for it to be sent to the Governor to become law!

HB 1686 says that municipalities and HOA’s can’t prohibit you from having up to 6 laying hens, 6 rabbits, (with no more than a total of 8 ) or a front yard garden. It also says that HOA’s can’t prohibit your cottage food operation. Reasonable regulations for noise and odor control are part of this bill – and no roosters.

We all saw the breakdowns in the food supply chain this past year. COVID. Meat-packing plants shut down. The Great Freeze in February with empty grocery shelves and lines out the doors. We can increase our food security if we can produce food for our families on land that we already own.
CALL:
Find out who your Texas State Senator is by entering your address at this link:
https://wrm.capitol.texas.gov/home
Click on the name that is “Texas Senate District XX”. Their phone number starts with 512-463-XXXX.
OR you can just call the Capitol Switchboard at 512-463-4630 and give the operator your address and ask to be connected to your Senator.
(Don’t call Ted Cruz or John Cornyn, they are our US Senators and can’t help with this!)
Call that number above, and when the staff person answers the phone, say: “Hi, my name is _____ and I am a constituent. I am c
alling to ask Senator ____ to vote YES on HB 1686. It has already passed the House.

You can add a sentence or two about why the bill is important to you: be concise. This is the busiest time of session, so shorter is better!

Read the bill (click the Text tab, choose House Committee Report):
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx…
What is the status on the bill. I live in the country and my HOA prohibits Chickens, wth!

Back
Top Bottom