Thank you to everyone on BYC: Duck World

hendrix25

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
GA
I just wanted to take some time to say thanks to everyone on here that has given me advice throughout my ducky motherhood. After long debate with myself and some logical thinking I have decided to return my ducks back to the breeder. With their recent flying endeavors and their random trips deep into the woods I just don't think I will be able to keep them. It's really not fair to them to have to stay penned up all the time when we're not home, which is a lot. The breeder ask that I check with her should I ever want to get rid of them, and I did. I will be returning them tomorrow afternoon. They will be living on a 30 acre llama farm with other ducks and chickens, and several LSGD to protect them from predators. I just can't give them the attention and affection that they need right now and it is the best choice for them. I recently took on a new weekend career and this will put me away from my home even more. I am glad that I am able to relocate them to a loving home with lots of care. The breeder is a stay at home mom who home schools her children and is very involved in her animals lives. She breeds Llamas for show and has several other Cayugas and lots of other ornamental chickens. So I feel very good about this decision. All her children enjoy the animals and help to take care of them. So I know they are going back to a wonderful home.

You all have been so much help to me. I have learned a lot about ducks and maybe one day when my life is a bit more stable (meaning, moved into new house, have some babies, and things settle down a bit) I will get some more ducks to enjoy. I'm just glad that I can realize that I don't have time for them right now. It's better for them to be able to live like a duck.

Thank you all,
Heather

PS: I know how you all love pictures so here's a brief view of my journey. Bittersweet.

29569_100_0730.jpg

29569_100_0742.jpg

29569_100_0776.jpg

29569_100_1036.jpg

29569_100_1089.jpg

29569_walking.jpg

29569_100_1387.jpg

29569_dsc_0054.jpg

29569_dsc_0058.jpg

29569_dsc_0072.jpg

29569_dsc_0076.jpg

29569_dsc_0220.jpg

29569_100_1603.jpg

Quote:
Thanks, it's bittersweet. I will miss them tremendously but I have to do whats best for them. Part of life is enjoying the things and people in our life at the moment, and accepting when it's time for them to float out of our lives. Life isn't all about our own personal satisfaction, but how we give back to those that have given to us, even if that means letting them go.

Those are the sweetest, most caring statements I have heard in a long time. I hope your life goes great and that you will soon have duckies again.
hugs.gif

Gosh - it looks like you made every attempt to give them lovely quarters, but the woods nearby would be a terrible worry. We've got somewhat similar property, but fortunately previous owners and various neighbors (years before we bought the place) had fenced the entire property, otherwise I'm not sure how we'd combat our coyote problem here.

It's obvious your ducks are LOVED, and you are trying to do the very best for them. Maybe someday you'll get to try again.

What an awesome person you are ! Many folks would just dump them off in a public pond or whatever (of course, not a BYC'er, but you know what I mean ... ) -- instead, you sent them back to the breeder, which is the BEST solution.

I feel your pain -- very sorry you had to give them up.

Gwen

Bravo to you for doing the responsible thing for your ducks. I applaud you heartily. I teared up reading your post, but you will have some more ducks someday, when it is right for you.
I am now in the midst of rescuing 3 rabbits. The owner's kid has tired of them, so he wants to just let them go to fend for themselves. I am hoping I can get them before he does that.
So, even though it is difficult for you, the unselfish act of relinquishing them to the breeder is very impressive.
Not to mention that any breeder that agrees to take back the animal they have bred is what I call a good one.

This made me cry too and I NEVER cry lol. I'm so glad I scrolled down and saw you other guys all welling up.
Those little ducks are going to be happy. Maybe you can go visit. I am only three weeks into being a duck owner but they become your whole world so fast don't they?
Bet you make a good human momma too.
xxxxxxx

Everyone: I am sorry I made you cry, but just wanted to extend my gratitude to you all. I will probably stay on BYC, bc that will keeping me wanting more someday.

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. I know the breeder will give me the respect I gave her. I kept her up to date on how they were and sent her pictures. I know she will do the same for me.

hit.gif
hugs.gif

Ive always loved that picture of Racer. Im so sorry that your duck adventures didnt last. At least you got to see them through their growing spurts.

Back
Top Bottom