Thanks a million!

LurkinTurken

Hatching
Jul 31, 2016
McArthur, Ohio
Hi All! I registered specifically to write a sincere THANK YOU to the members of this group. I'm an official new member, but as the name suggests i've been lurking for 4yrs on this site. I lurk on multiple other chicken sites, too, just seem to find what i need here. I've been raising chickens for 3 years now and not once have i had to post a question/concern! Over the years BYC has helped this newbie with: chicken breed selection, curl toes, spraddle leg, scissor beak, hen being egg bound, incubating/hatching eggs, aggressive rooster, bumble foot, and most recently (and the reason why I'm writing this message) eye injury to new baby chick!

5 days ago I received a shipment of chicks (16 all together), i was so excited for them especially the 3 turkens! From the description of the breed (from members here) i couldn't wait for my "so ugly they're cute" chicks to arrive! We noticed an EE chick named JoJo being way more aggressive than normal, especially with one of the turkens named Deuce. With info we found on BYC, we were able to break the chick of this by the next day! We felt very proud of ourselves :) The following evening, when i came home from work and checked on the chicks, i noticed Deuce was in a corner barely able to stand or open either of her eyes! Upset, i separated her and nursed her all night. Using BYC, i was able to hydrate her, attend to her eyes (sealed shut with scabs and crust from being pecked), and keep her warm. I also watched the other chicks' behavior, pinpointed 4 (out of 16!!) bullies (that night i was calling them not so nice names) that were relentless in their extreme pecking. The original EE, JoJo wasn't even one of them! Again using some tips found on BYC, kept them from doing anymore damage to anyone else. After 1 1/2 days of sick bay, Deuce was doing so much better just crying to be put back with the others! I put her back in with general population, and rounded up the 5 bullies into their own separate brooder box. Needless to say 24 hours later (I've been hovering watching them constantly my boyfriend calls me the chicken NSA!), everyone is doing great and you can't even tell that Deuce was injured!

So from the bottom of my heart, from all of my chickens/chicks, and from all the other lurkers on here:

THANK YOU ALL!
One day I hope to help someone the way you helped me!
Emily

FYI: it seemed interesting to me 4 of the 5 bullies were EE, and while searching aggressive baby chicks/eye injury to new chicks, EE popped up a lot as the overly aggressive peckers...

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! What a wonderful introduction and I'm so pleased by has helped you so much :clap It sure is a great place place with a wealth of information and lots of amazing members. Congrats on your new chicks, they sure are great to raise and I wish you the very best of luck with them in the future.
Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help.

Enjoy your time on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Back
Top Bottom