Thanks for accepting my request!!

Sondra_Lovell

Chirping
Dec 10, 2018
Jacksonville FL
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am new to caring for chickens. I don’t actually own my own, but help out feral community chickens that free roam my neighborhood.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? There are five grown cockerels, plus a young guy born last year, also four that were born in the summer. The group has eight adult female chickens and two juvenile females.

(3) What breeds do you have? I’m not sure. There are a few different ones. A male and female that are blond/white. A few are like the classic roosters that are very colorful. Three females are like the silver lacy chickens, three that are reddish, auburn colors, one is a little white and gold girl and two are still juveniles so they are more a brown/black. I wish I knew more.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I just love spending time with them. Watching them interact and grow. Loss always sucks, but their lives are fascinating.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Gardening. I have four indoor cats who I adore. I also care for community cats that are very docile. I enjoy art, poetry and needlepoint.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I’m in my early 40’s and have a great husband who provides for me. I live in NEFL. I have several autoimmune disorders which can be a struggle, but, I have the company of my fur babies. Four cats. Two female litter mates, Bubbles who is a silver tabby, and BunnyBaby, who is an America bobtail. They are from a litter that were all bobtail except silver Bubbles, who we joke was a greedy kitty and stole all the other kitties tails in the womb. After moving to this neighborhood, one year we adopted a six mont old black kitty who loves to sing. He was injured, so we decided to integrate into our family. Then a year later a four week old kitten approached our house in Oct. She was so tiny and it was cold so we took her in. She’s been our baby cat ever since. And, of course the lovely community chickens who I call my buddies and friends. ^__^

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D Well, for the last year I have been helping community chickens. So, when I search for chicken advice, this page comes up. I decided to join because I’m always looking for answers to what seem like very specific questions pertaining to these feral chicken.

Back
Top Bottom