Thanks for letting me in.

Grizzly Ben

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Harker Heights TX
I've had chickens for about 7 years now. Currently we only have 3 but plan on adding 3 more soon. One of the hens has a red hind end but seems very healthy. She eats and drinks, lays daily. I've never had this issue before so would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

I've had chickens for about 7 years now. Currently we only have 3 but plan on adding 3 more soon. One of the hens has a red hind end but seems very healthy. She eats and drinks, lays daily. I've never had this issue before so would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
Reddend skin can be caused by pecking, or by mites/lice. Does it look like any other hens are pecking her? Is the red area swollen at all? Check the area, and other areas of the bird (head, neck feathers, beneath wings, under tail feathers) for mites and lice, as they can cause irritated, red skin.

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Have you checked her for mites or lice? Does she have feathers on her butt or is she bare? Is the butt swollen along with being red? Bugs can cause the feather loss or broken brittle feathers and make the skin red. Powder her DE or other mite killing permethrins. Other birds plucking her feathers along with picking at her butt will make the skin red as well. You would need to give the birds more room so they have other things to do other than pick on each other. Possibly add more protein to the diet so they aren't eating feathers. If the butt is red and swollen, along with diarrhea and a really stinky dirty butt, she could have vent gleet. A fungal infection of the vent. If this is he case, you can clean her butt, trim off some of the feathers and apply vaginal cream to the vent and the area around it. Put probiotics in the water for a couple of weeks to help cure the fungal/yeast infection.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

If you notice the other birds pecking at her - please isolate her so she can heal. Blue kote on wounds helps cover the redness that attracts peckers even more.

No pecking going on and no signs of pests. The girls have about a thousand square foot pen so there is plnty of room. I'll isolate her so I check her poop and make sure she actually is laying regularly. I have an older bird that I had assumed quit laying but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom