Thanks for the great advice over the years ... decided to register today. :)

Fireside Acres

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2021
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've taken in rescue chickens for ten years or so. About 5 years ago I bought three white Bresse hens who needed to be rehomed, and fell in love with their attitudes. They were a bit older, and I have one of the three still with me. I did as much research as I could and then bought Bresse day old chicks in white, splash, lavender and black as well. Then the post office dismantling happened, and my order was sidelined. I was due to have my chicks shipped out on Sept 12th, 4 days after we evacuated due to the Riverside Fire near Estacada, Oregon. Peachy!! So I called the breeder and asked for a delay, and ended up with chicks on December 1st. Talk about trial by fire, as we had to keep them in the house for 6 weeks lol.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?
Bresse, Rhode Island Red, Lavender Crested Legbar, and a Barred Rock.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love their personalities. The bug eating and egg laying are awesome as well. So far I have not been able to process any in the past, but plan to send my extra cockerels to freezer camp now that I have growing chicks.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Music festivals (pre-COVID) mushroom foraging, gardening.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have registered Nubian, and South African Boer goats, livestock guardians (Maremma x Great Pyrenees), cats, and Muscovy ducks as well.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Covid has kept me home more, so I decided I might actually have time to contribute. I've browsed your pages for quite a while.

Attachments

• 63106278281__E6615F5E-950D-4A26-A87E-CB61CC60F171.JPG
    63106278281__E6615F5E-950D-4A26-A87E-CB61CC60F171.JPG
    991.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 63083320397__502A5119-6C38-4511-9C52-8EE775299B32.JPG
    63083320397__502A5119-6C38-4511-9C52-8EE775299B32.JPG
    526.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've taken in rescue chickens for ten years or so. About 5 years ago I bought three white Bresse hens who needed to be rehomed, and fell in love with their attitudes. They were a bit older, and I have one of the three still with me. I did as much research as I could and then bought Bresse day old chicks in white, splash, lavender and black as well. Then the post office dismantling happened, and my order was sidelined. I was due to have my chicks shipped out on Sept 12th, 4 days after we evacuated due to the Riverside Fire near Estacada, Oregon. Peachy!! So I called the breeder and asked for a delay, and ended up with chicks on December 1st. Talk about trial by fire, as we had to keep them in the house for 6 weeks lol.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?
Bresse, Rhode Island Red, Lavender Crested Legbar, and a Barred Rock.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love their personalities. The bug eating and egg laying are awesome as well. So far I have not been able to process any in the past, but plan to send my extra cockerels to freezer camp now that I have growing chicks.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Music festivals (pre-COVID) mushroom foraging, gardening.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have registered Nubian, and South African Boer goats, livestock guardians (Maremma x Great Pyrenees), cats, and Muscovy ducks as well.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Covid has kept me home more, so I decided I might actually have time to contribute. I've browsed your pages for quite a while.
Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom